Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine light came on, ac stopped getting cold and temperature gauge stopped reading. I went to auto zone and they ran a test on it. They told me a code popped up for thermostat.... could it possibly be badwiring or something. I noticed the plastic side pannel driver side keeps comming off. Theres some wiring in there but i dont want to mess my car up by trying things i know nothing about. Plz help

·
Registered
686 Posts
It would be best if you could provide the actual code they pulled, but having said that if the temp gauge is not working you may have a failed engine temperature sensor, bad connection to the sensor or the coolant thermostat is stuck open. With the engine light coming on and a code being thrown I would be guessing more along the lines of a temperature sensor problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be best if you could provide the actual code they pulled, but having said that if the temp gauge is not working you may have a failed engine temperature sensor, bad connection to the sensor or the coolant thermostat is stuck open. With the engine light coming on and a code being thrown I would be guessing more along the lines of a temperature sensor problem.
I took the car to AutoZone and have them put their sensor on it and the guy told me that it was the thermostat sensor but I didn't get the code number I will go again today and get the code number but since he said it was the thermostat is it the thermostat or could it still be the sensor

·
Registered
686 Posts
I do not believe you would get a code for a failing thermostat itself. That is purely mechanical and just opens and closes to regulate coolant flow at defined temperatures. My best guess would be the sensor itself followed by a wiring issue. You could also check the sensor is connected, but they are usually held in place. Assuming you have a 3.5l, this may help you locate it.

2005-10 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L ECT(Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) Location - YouTube

·
Registered
319 Posts
YES, A stuck open thermostat WILL set a code and CEL turning on. Temp gage will drop out AND A/C will not work. ALL quirks of the 3.5 motor gt. I just did this a month ago on ours.

·
Registered
60 Posts
YES, A stuck open thermostat WILL set a code and CEL turning on. Temp gage will drop out AND A/C will not work. ALL quirks of the 3.5 motor gt. I just did this a month ago on ours.
The A/C not working is not too much of a surprise, but I didn't know it would kill the temp gauge too. (I've worked on other GMs that a stuck thermostat would set a code, so that's no surprise at all. Gotta be up to temp or the "smog nannies" will scream at you.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My engine light came on, ac stopped getting cold and temperature gauge stopped reading. I went to auto zone and they ran a test on it. They told me a code popped up for thermostat.... could it possibly be badwiring or something. I noticed the plastic side pannel driver side keeps comming off. Theres some wiring in there but i dont want to mess my car up by trying things i know nothing about. Plz help
Change t stat and check its operation if good change senor check wiring easy fix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts