Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, Just picked up an 09 and when I got it home, I turned the car off and stepped out but the radio stayed on. I've had many Pontiac cars but this is my first experience with a G6. I figured the radio was supposed to turn off when the door opened.

I researched the online manuals and some other online sites and couldn't find any info on this being a settable option. I did find a few people having the same problem, but no answers that helped me. Is this an issue that has a known solution of any kind?

Also, I noticed when checking this out in the car, that when the key comes out from the lock position, the wheel doesn't lock. I can still turn the wheels if I try. Is that normal? If the wheel is actually supposed to lock, then maybe the key sensor in the ignition is faulty causing both problems?

Thanks for any help with this.

P.S. the radio does turn off after about 15 minutes, so the key out timer is working, just not the door shut off.

· Professional geek
433 Posts
Hello, Just picked up an 09 and when I got it home, I turned the car off and stepped out but the radio stayed on.
[...]
P.S. the radio does turn off after about 15 minutes, so the key out timer is working, just not the door shut off.
Do the map lights turn on when you open the door? It's probably the door switch. The G6 has problematic door switches that more often cause the car to think the door is open and set off the theft alarm.

As far as the steering wheel, I too noticed that it does not lock when the key is removed. I haven't checked to see if it locks when the door is opened.

~ MattInSoCal

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I will check into the door switch. When I put the car into park, the dome lights come on, but not when I open the doors to get into the car. I haven't found an option to turn that on and off, so maybe it's the switch as you suggest.

I did some more looking and finally found that apparantly the G6 doesn't have a Steering lock feature, so that's not part of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.