Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G6 2.4L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2009 G6 at 79,000 miles. No issues when I first got it. Today 9/16 when I put the car in drive from park, I noticed a small bump or jerk in the car. Everytime the car changes gears it jerks and you can hear and feel a bump. Why is my G6 jerking or bumping when I change gears? Thank you to anyone who has any advice for this issue. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
The transmission will often jerk if it has gone into limp mode. Restarting the car will reset it if the problem is intermittent. Using an advanced scan tool that can read the transmission module will allow you to see if any disgnostic codes have been logged.

I had an intermittent transmission limp mode that was solved by adding dielectric grease to the BCM connectors, but this was a very intermittent issue that occurred every few weeks.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G6 2.4L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@boomer thanks for the response, I'm on my way to my auto store rite now to see if I can get the transmission scanned. After I restarted the car and slowly went through all the gears, the bumping subsided. But I want to see why it started bumping and jerking yesterday. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks again for the advice. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought my 2009 G6 at 79,000 miles. No issues when I first got it. Today 9/16 when I put the car in drive from park, I noticed a small bump or jerk in the car. Everytime the car changes gears it jerks and you can hear and feel a bump. Why is my G6 jerking or bumping when I change gears? Thank you to anyone who has any advice for this issue. Thanks.
I had a 2007 that had a recall for that..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a 2007 that had a recall for that..
I had a similar problem. In the end, they figured out it was some parts in the transmission that needed replacing (sensors? I honestly forget). The "bump" started as mildly annoying, but when it became a "thunk" every time, I took it in. $1400 about 4 years ago on a 2007 with the 3.9L engine - would have had similar mileage.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G6 2.4L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The transmission will often jerk if it has gone into limp mode. Restarting the car will reset it if the problem is intermittent. Using an advanced scan tool that can read the transmission module will allow you to see if any disgnostic codes have been logged.

I had an intermittent transmission limp mode that was solved by adding dielectric grease to the BCM connectors, but this was a very intermittent issue that occurred every few weeks.
Thanks for your response. I'm going to look into that asap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts