Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car runs just fine at first startup but then after I drive it around for a while and turn it off, it leaves me stranded. It never wants to start after I've turned it off. In June I replaced the starter, alternator, and battery, so they are all brand new.

This weekend I am planning on replacing the spark plugs and wires and the ignition coil..

Has anyone else found a surefire solution to this or is everyone else just replacing one thing at a time until they solve the problem? Cause at this point I'm tired of investing....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ground connections to the chassis and engine are a constant problem with these and many other GM vehicles There are youtube videos about this problem, take some time and search them for a better understanding(beats trying to write it up here). Also has the Check Engine Light been on when it is driving? Get codes read at most any major parts store for FREE, it will help narrow down areas to concentrate on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ground connections to the chassis and engine are a constant problem with these and many other GM vehicles There are youtube videos about this problem, take some time and search them for a better understanding(beats trying to write it up here). Also has the Check Engine Light been on when it is driving? Get codes read at most any major parts store for FREE, it will help narrow down areas to concentrate on.

The check engine light is not on.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It may help to describe what happens when the car won't start. Does it happen every time the engine is hot or just sometimes? What is different? Does the starter motor turn the engine over, but the engine does not fire up for example. Sometimes the differences give a clue. Hope you can find it and fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It may help to describe what happens when the car won't start. Does it happen every time the engine is hot or just sometimes? What is different? Does the starter motor turn the engine over, but the engine does not fire up for example. Sometimes the differences give a clue. Hope you can find it and fix it.
At first start, it starts. After I drive it around, it will not start again. When I turn the key, I get one click. All ofh the dash lights, headlights, and electrical components seem to work, engine just won't turn over. If I let it sit and cool for a while, it will start again. I had a friend at work "knock" on the top of the motor and that successfully got it started one time but hasn't ever worked since.

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
168 Posts
Older GMs had some issues with insufficient heat shielding around the starter, that would cause it to not want to crank once it gets heat-soaked from driving around. Once the car cools down, it works perfectly fine. I know you already replaced that component, but a "click" and nothing more usually points to a starter problem of a depleted battery charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also it does seem that all of my problems started after the temperature started to rise outside... I bought the car in April and didn't start having issues until June..
Older GMs had some issues with insufficient heat shielding around the starter, that would cause it to not want to crank once it gets heat-soaked from driving around. Once the car cools down, it works perfectly fine. I know you already replaced that component, but a "click" and nothing more usually points to a starter problem of a depleted battery charge.
Ive read about that and bought a sheild for the starter but haven't installed it yet. Are you suggesting I need to replace the starter again.?

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
168 Posts
Also it does seem that all of my problems started after the temperature started to rise outside... I bought the car in April and didn't start having issues until June..

Ive read about that and bought a sheild for the starter but haven't installed it yet. Are you suggesting I need to replace the starter again.?
I don't think you need to replace it again. I think installing that shield may be my next shot if it was my car. You already have it so... May as well toss it on there and see if it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts