Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello community, brand new on here and hoping I'm posting in the right area (but probably not)
Anyways... I have a 2009 Pontiac G6 the 4 cylinder. And my check engine light came on. Went to AutoZone code came up as P0016 which is the Crank shaft position sensor, Which i replaced both.

Hooked back up the battery, started my car.
Yay! It turned off... For about 5 minutes...

I really don't know much about vehicles, so anykind of info of how to fix this problem would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
126 Posts
Hello community, brand new on here and hoping I'm posting in the right area (but probably not)
Anyways... I have a 2009 Pontiac G6 the 4 cylinder. And my check engine light came on. Went to AutoZone code came up as P0016 which is the Crank shaft position sensor, Which i replaced both.

Hooked back up the battery, started my car.
Yay! It turned off... For about 5 minutes...

I really don't know much about vehicles, so anykind of info of how to fix this problem would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
I am assuming that you are talking about your camshaft position. Your car only has one crankshaft but has two camshafts. As far as I know, the ecotech engine only has one crank position sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I talked to a Mechanic, and he’s said that the timing chains rarely go out on those. But then again I have no idea

·
Registered
118 Posts
They stretch, they don't break. In doing so it creates other issues that are misdiagnosed as something else. I agree it would be the last thing I'd look at, but don't dismiss it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had the same issue on mine, replaced the camshaft sensor as it was easier than replacing the timing chain. Didn't fix the issue of course, wound up being the timing chain. They do stretch over time, and there is a ceramic chain guide on top that gets beat to death by the chain that will also need to be replaced. You will be pulling broken pieces out once you remove the cover. Changed mine at 264,000, still going strong at over 342,000.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts