Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Pontiac G6 Sedan. I was recently pulled over due to the third brake lights not turning on. I replaced 1 of the bulbs to check if it is a bulb issue, it is not.

What should I check next? There is plenty of information on when no brake lights are working and when the third brake light stays on, but nothing on when it will not turn on that I can find.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
First check the wiring to the lamp connection to be sure it's not broken due to flexing or being pinched . The next step is to put a multi meter on the line to see if you have power to the lamp .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine was all rusted out back there. It looks like water can get in there easily. If yours is rusted you might check that you are getting a good connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is likely not the issue, but is easy to rule out. Check that the correct bulbs are being used. I had two of mine burn out in my 08 G6, and the auto parts associates sold me replacements that looked like this:

While these bulbs will fit into the removable bulb sockets the wiring will not touch the socket contacts and complete the circuit. However, it was relatively easy to bend the wires from the bulbs outward and solder them to the socket contacts. Probably not the best solution, but it worked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts