Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 2009 radio work in my 2005 G6? I know the 2008 radios will, but I haven't heard if the 2009's do. The 2009 radio look the same, appears to mount the same, and connect with the same wiring harness. Has anyone tried or know if the radios are interchangable?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the '08's are the same, why are so intent on an '09?

Not trying to be a bother, just asking why. Because an 2008 radio would be cheaper and more abundant than a 2009.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a 2009 for a much better price (from an individual). I don't want to buy it and it not work for me. If he sells this one before I find out, I will go with a 2008.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found a 2009 for a much better price (from an individual). I don't want to buy it and it not work for me. If he sells this one before I find out, I will go with a 2008.
I would go to a dealer and ask them if they can program it to your car first. Pontiac put a anti theft system on it where it only works for that car. It goes off the VIN #

·
Lead Foot
67 Posts
Will a 2009 radio work in my 2005 G6? I know the 2008 radios will, but I haven't heard if the 2009's do. The 2009 radio look the same, appears to mount the same, and connect with the same wiring harness. Has anyone tried or know if the radios are interchangable?
may I ask why you want to do the swap? i assume its either for the aux in or the 6 disc changer...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 6 disk cd player went out and my wife wants to be able to play cds. So I figured since I am buying a new radio, I should buy the one with the aux input also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question....

Hi mkopmann,

Did you have the dealership install that for you? This is an option I would really be interested in on my 2005 as well. Any extra info is appreciated. I am a new owner to the G6.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed the radio myself, but I had to take it to the dealership for them to program it to my VIN. They charged me $50, which I thought was a good deal.

To get the old radio out and put the new one in was not bad at all. It takes a little time, but it is not hard. Lampoon wrote a good how to if you are interested. I am not sure which post it was on, but just look through the radio posts or do a search.

Now I have a cd player that works and a aux input for my mp3 player. With the new radio I also got silver trim on the buttons that matches the trim on the vents.

By the way, I did get the single disk cd player so I don't run into the same problem I had with the 6 disk. I have heard nothing but bad things about the 6 disk cd player.

·
Registered
174 Posts
two words-

Cool Beans :)

I just took in an 09 radio on a trade....guess I have a spare now. lol
Looking to get rid of one of those radios?

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
Aux in started in 2008.
The 09 is the same as the 08 and does have an aux.
The 09.5 has the bowtie radio in it and before you ask it is not backward compatible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have another ? on this i have a 09 with built in blue tooth and a single cd aux in and a usb in that lets you control a ipod from the HU but i would like to have a nav hu like in the g8 or the solstice or torrent.... i really like the g8s but it is to big but meuserment the solstice or torrent are the same in front but the rest i dont know so does any body know if this is possible or am i going to have to go after market? and if i go after market will i lose my factory blue tooth and onstar???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts