Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2009 G6 with the 3.5 v6 for my daughter. She is a new driver.

I think my question is simple:

If I have a power steering reservoir and my build sheet says Electronic Power, are these cars still subject to the sudden loss of power steering? I dont think I have seen a definitive answer on this. My gut says that any that are pure electric would, but I am not sure.

If it is, I need to prepare her for the possibility and it freaks me out a little that this could happen to her.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 GXP, 3.6L V6 sedan
68 Posts
I have had two Pontiac G6's. The first one was a 2008 2.4 liter engine with electronic power steering. This one had the issue that would lose power steering while driving. The connector to the motor sometime would lose its connectivity electrically. I would have to pull over and shut the vehicle off and restart to gain the power steering function. There was a recall for this and the dealer change something but years later the issue came back. My nephew has the car now and it goes mostly when its freezing outside which I think its the connector being so cold it will not pick up the electric to the connector. That is my guess. My current 2008 G6 is a 3.6L engine with traditional power steering with fluid and this one has no issue at all. So your 3.5L G6 also has fluid so that being said you should not have an issue with losing function.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is an update. I came home and pulled the panel under the dash to take a look.

Luckly, for my conscience and my daughters safety, there is no motor under the dash. I saw what looks to be a sensor, but I am pleased to know we have hydraulic steering.

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 2009 G6 with the 3.5 v6 for my daughter. She is a new driver.

I think my question is simple:

If I have a power steering reservoir and my build sheet says Electronic Power, are these cars still subject to the sudden loss of power steering? I dont think I have seen a definitive answer on this. My gut says that any that are pure electric would, but I am not sure.

If it is, I need to prepare her for the possibility and it freaks me out a little that this could happen to her.

Thanks.
Theirs always a possibility. I have 09 g6 that doesn't have electric power steering and mine went out due to the high pressure hoses got a hole in it due to the muffler melting a hole in it. Was told it would cost 700 to 900 to fix, I repaired myself.
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts