Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all of you amazing G6 owners! I’ve had my G6 for over 4 years now and the issue that it has is that there’s like a rattling when it’s cold and the engine light is on. It runs fine with those issues. I love my G6, but I’m a bit concerned that there will be bigger issues down the line. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do? Should I get rid of it or is it worth getting it fixed? My mechanic told me that there are several codes that pop up so it would cost me quite a bit until we get the engine light to shut off. So he told me to drive it until it gives out since it still drives with no issues. But I would like to get it fixed so that I could have peace of mind. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you in advance! 🙂

·
Registered
442 Posts
If it were me, I would get the codes to see the problem areas I would be looking at. I would estimate my ability to give it a go myself depending on the complexity of the problems. I would get a firmer estimate from the mechanic. I would also look for an independent estimate if the first mechanic were from a dealership. From there I have an idea of how much I need to pay someone else vs the time, effort and capability to give it a go myself (I can look up part costs etc online).

Depending if your state has annual inspections it is less likely you can pass with a check engine light. Just mentioning as the "drive it until it dies" option may have other time limits. Personally I would also be concerned over how it was likely to die. To my mind engine ceasing on a freeway is very different to failing to start in the morning...

Best of luck with your decision and fix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts