Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some input on aftermarket rims. I see most of you put 18's on your car and I'm just wondering why that is? I want 20's but I don't want to sacrifice my comfortable ride. I hear putting 20's on makes the ride rough. Is that true? I also heard it decreases gas mileage. I'm not really worried about that because I get awesome gas mileage. Way better than any car I've ever owned. So if I could get some input and your guys opinions I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Storm Trooper
323 Posts
there are a few people who have put the 20s on the car and not had issues. the issue will be when you go with a SUPER short sidewall. it is giong to be a hard ride. no way around it.

Darlene has MSR Black 20" rims with Eibach Springs. she never complained.

personally if you are looking to go that big you are willing to sacrifice ride for appearance.

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are a few people who have put the 20s on the car and not had issues. the issue will be when you go with a SUPER short sidewall. it is giong to be a hard ride. no way around it.

Darlene has MSR Black 20" rims with Eibach Springs. she never complained.

personally if you are looking to go that big you are willing to sacrifice ride for appearance.
Thanks. What would you recommend? I got really good prices on rims so I'm not really too sure it would matter. I'm just not really sure which size to pick.

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
Thanks. What would you recommend? I got really good prices on rims so I'm not really too sure it would matter. I'm just not really sure which size to pick.
where did ya get good prices? hook us up

·
Storm Trooper
323 Posts
i dont know the exact tire size. there is a few members on G6P who have them. one is AXCDarlene the other is a blue G6...

honestly i think that if you came from a 225/50 R18 tire you could go to a 235 (OR IF IT WILL FIT 245)/35 ZR20

according to a calculator it is close to the actual speedo. the best match for speedo is 245/35 ZR20 but i dont know if we can fit a 245 within the fenders.

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could probably work something out somehow to hook club members up. The guy I deal with has been a friend for over 10 years. I honestly don't know how he gets good prices but I talked to him tonight about 20's and he said $600 with tires.

From a shop called "Hot Wheel city"

It's on 8 mile in Detroit. I haven't seen anyone else here from Michigan so that info doesn't really do any good. lol. But I'm sure we could work out shipping and all that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Try to get some info on that from him, or atleast give me his info so I can talk to him, because the best price I can get from where I'm from is $1200 for 18's

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have 20s on my car and there is still a lot of room under the fender. The tire that is closer to keeping speedo the same is the 225-35-20. However, I have seen a lot of people get the 245-35-20. The later is a little taller and wider but they will rub if you take a really deep turn. the 225 does not rub at all. As long as you dont get a cheap tire the ride is pretty good I feel as long as its a smooth road. MPG does go down in the city but still pretty good on highway. I would not go with 18s unless you plan to lower your car. At the end of the day its what you like best. The right set of 18s or 20s will look great!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I could probably work something out somehow to hook club members up. The guy I deal with has been a friend for over 10 years. I honestly don't know how he gets good prices but I talked to him tonight about 20's and he said $600 with tires.

From a shop called "Hot Wheel city"

It's on 8 mile in Detroit. I haven't seen anyone else here from Michigan so that info doesn't really do any good. lol. But I'm sure we could work out shipping and all that.
I'm from Michigan! Do they happen to have enkei ekm3 wheels? If so, I am going to get some. Best price I found with a decent set of tires on them was like $1500.

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 20s on my car and there is still a lot of room under the fender. The tire that is closer to keeping speedo the same is the 225-35-20. However, I have seen a lot of people get the 245-35-20. The later is a little taller and wider but they will rub if you take a really deep turn. the 225 does not rub at all. As long as you dont get a cheap tire the ride is pretty good I feel as long as its a smooth road. MPG does go down in the city but still pretty good on highway. I would not go with 18s unless you plan to lower your car. At the end of the day its what you like best. The right set of 18s or 20s will look great!
Thanks. I just feel 18's are a waste of money. I have stock 17's so why pay all that extra money for an extra inch? and like you said, only do it if I'm gonna lower it. Which would be even more money.

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm from Michigan! Do they happen to have enkei ekm3 wheels? If so, I am going to get some. Best price I found with a decent set of tires on them was like $1500.
I will check for you. What size?

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
130 Posts
Since it seems you will be going with 20s, i wanted to let you know that 20x8.5s will fit the g6. Thats what I have on my car. Its hard to find a nice rim with the bolt pattern for the g6 and in a 20x7.5. From what I experienced, best looking rims were in a 20x8 or 20x8.5. Check out www.performanceplustire.com. They have a rim simulator on there and they have good competitive prices. Great customer service as well. Dont know if i have every seen a new set of 20s with tires for 600 dollars, sounds like a steal! lol

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since it seems you will be going with 20s, i wanted to let you know that 20x8.5s will fit the g6. Thats what I have on my car. Its hard to find a nice rim with the bolt pattern for the g6 and in a 20x7.5. From what I experienced, best looking rims were in a 20x8 or 20x8.5. Check out www.performanceplustire.com. They have a rim simulator on there and they have good competitive prices. Great customer service as well. Dont know if i have every seen a new set of 20s with tires for 600 dollars, sounds like a steal! lol
Yeah that's what I thought too. I asked him how much and he said $600. And I said well that's not too bad...tires is what is expensive and he was like well that's with tires. lol. So I was thinking that's a damn good deal. Sounds like I'm getting myself a Christmas Present.

I was thinking about maybe getting a group buy together on here to see how many people want new rims if they are that affordable.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought too. I asked him how much and he said $600. And I said well that's not too bad...tires is what is expensive and he was like well that's with tires. lol. So I was thinking that's a damn good deal. Sounds like I'm getting myself a Christmas Present.

I was thinking about maybe getting a group buy together on here to see how many people want new rims if they are that affordable.
I know right! Mine ran almost 1300 with a cheap tire. I did not get the cheap tire so i paid bout 300 dollars more. I love my rims though but hate i missed a 600 dollar deal. To be honest man I would proceed with caution with that deal, thats just my two cents. You must be getting a non-chrome wheel or something because I thning they run that cheap.

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know right! Mine ran almost 1300 with a cheap tire. I did not get the cheap tire so i paid bout 300 dollars more. I love my rims though but hate i missed a 600 dollar deal. To be honest man I would proceed with caution with that deal, thats just my two cents. You must be getting a non-chrome wheel or something because I thning they run that cheap.
Yea that's true. I had to ask him though because on his facebook page he has had like 4 different sets of rims for every cars hes owned and hes 25. There is no way in hell he can afford to just keep dropping a couple grand on new rims. so I asked him. He said for me to let him know when I'm ready and we will go pick them out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yea that's true. I had to ask him though because on his facebook page he has had like 4 different sets of rims for every cars hes owned and hes 25. There is no way in hell he can afford to just keep dropping a couple grand on new rims. so I asked him. He said for me to let him know when I'm ready and we will go pick them out.
Ok, sounds good man. Good luck!

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL. When I originally made this thread I didn't click on performance. I have no idea how it ended up on performance. This isn't a rice thread. Wheels don't make your car go faster. I clicked on appearance but it posted to the wrong one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.