Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Gm should keep their budget engine in budget cars, the sticker on a loaded up G6 GT is well over $32,000 CDN. and a hot motor like the 3600 should have been an option in the GT trim. In my opinion GM should never have wasted their time with the 3.9 liter which is just a bored and/or stroked 3.5 liter and concentrated on putting a REAL performance oriented engine as an option for the GT and standard equipement for GTP in which the pushrod engine has no business being. I know for a fact that the 3.5/3.9 pushrod engines which are based on the 2.8 V6 from the 80's are what keeping some people from buying them, GM is not going to win over too many Honda, Nissan and Mazda owners without a more refined engine PERIOD.

· Registered
169 Posts
Mikeybc said:
Gm should keep their budget engine in budget cars, the sticker on a loaded up G6 GT is well over $32,000 CDN. and a hot motor like the 3600 should have been an option in the GT trim.
The problem with that approach is that it would have significantly delayed introduction of the G6.

The 3.5L was ready, reasonably capable, and fit the car...the 3.6L in the SEMA showcar was not a production item. The one thing they want to do even less than introducing a car late is introduce it with a new engine that bites them in the ass. (We all remember the 3.4L mess, right?)

Drop it on the market with a tried and true engine, gauge reaction and acceptance, then keep adding on extras each year to bring in new buyers and "holdouts".

They're doing the same thing with the new Solstice, and even to the venerable GrandPrix line (GXP - finally a V8 again) too, so I don't think they're going to change anytime soon.

· Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, that's the engine. Biggest piece of crap I've ever seen.

The only full-feature 6 cylinder they've got is in the CTS...but that one was bought rather than built, along with the Getrag 5 speed. Guess they figure, why build them when you can buy them, then charge a premium for a "feature-rich" V6.

Perhaps they are finally taking the time to design their own this time, one without fatal flaws. Since it'll be "home grown", I'm hoping/betting it won't carry the premium price tag that the CTS engine does.

· Registered
2 Posts
well i went to look at some g6 yesterday and i was talking to the sales person about why the gtp were not supercharged and he said there is a rumor that they are going to put a supercharger on the g6 maybe it is the 3.6 that is getting it.

· Registered
169 Posts
PontiacGA99 said:
well i went to look at some g6 yesterday and i was talking to the sales person about why the gtp were not supercharged and he said there is a rumor that they are going to put a supercharger on the g6 maybe it is the 3.6 that is getting it.
The original SEMA concept for the G6 was supercharged. Too bad that never made it to production.

The 3.6 as presented in the GXP develops its 275hp without forced-induction. BUT- seeing how they have a tendency to create "lite" versions of the concept vehicles for production, it would make sense if they SC'd a more "basic" version of the 3.6 to lay down the numbers while keeping the price reasonable.

· Designed For Action
495 Posts
hook2233 said:
I know the 3.9 is in the gtp but i heard a 3.6 275 hp engine is in the future--anyone know about this and when
I can tell you from a very reliable source, that the G6 GXP project is in limbo at this point. The last news was that, an unspecified V6 exceeding 275 hp was being tested in the vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.