Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 07 G6 GT convertible with the performance package (3.9 l engine and higher gear) and I want to customize my exhuast but I'm lost. First question, does the convertible have true duel exhaust on the 3.9l? I looked under there and from what I can see i could only see one pipe coming back to the big resonator? Can someone post a pic of the underbody of a g6 convertible with the 3.9? Second, would, as a first step, adding a crab intake and getting rid of the intake resonator help make it a little louder? Third, do I basically have to go custom since no one really makes exhaust for the G6's anymore :/?
And finally (sorry for all the questions), I have a high pitched whistling noise coming from my exhaust system, has anyone else had this problem?? Answers to all of these would be appreciated, because I am quite confused as to what to do with this car!
Thanks!

·
4,052 Posts
Sorry cant tell you for sure about the first question, but the only two brands that make after market cat backs for our cars are GMPP (GM Performance Parts) and Magnaflow. you can search and see if either make one for the 3.9
Crabs + resonater delete will difinitly make your car sound better and give better throttle response.
and the whistle is a hole in either the flex pipe or more likely the resonater itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thank you very much! I've just been lost as to what to do but I definitley wan to get started on my car as soon as I can! I'm probably going to put it on my dads lift to see if it has the true dual exhaust or not. I cant find any exhaust systems that are made for the 3.9 so i guess im going to have to do custom :/

·
Perfessor
177 Posts
Question #1 - Nope. They join together all the way to the stock muffler (at least mine do/did [keep reading]).
Question #2 - Personally, I don't know - yet. I still want/need to get my CRAB intake. But I've read in here that it does a little bit.
Question #3 - I'd have to say again - I don't know
Last question - that whistling noise (I found out the hard way) is the exhaust pipe with the next size diameter up (I think stock is 1 7/8"). If you just have that replaced, the whistling will go away.

When I took mine in for the same thing, I was told it was the muffler and to take it to a muffler shop. I did. My muffler is/was (read on) a 1 in/ 2 out - and I was told it would take about 2 weeks to get one. Then they checked it out (you know, actually started and drove it a bit) and that's when they found out it was the exhaust pipe, not the muffler. When I first started talking to the front desk guy, I asked if it could be made to sound "a bit louder". No problem he said. They put in a Thrush glass pack. With about 5-6 feet of piping behind it. Not bad at idle, but increase speed and the echoechoecho from the tail pipes was extremely annoying to me. So then they added 2 "performance" mufflers at the end to lose the echo.

That's why mine is custom now.

I hope this help you a bit and doesn't muddy the waters to much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts