Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the oil capacity for the 3.9? It's not mentioned in the owner's manual anywhere I can find. The 2 times I've changed it I put in 4.5 quarts and that seems to look OK on the confusing dipstick. But I would like to know for sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
MP2 said:
Does anyone know the oil capacity for the 3.9? It's not mentioned in the owner's manual anywhere I can find. The 2 times I've changed it I put in 4.5 quarts and that seems to look OK on the confusing dipstick. But I would like to know for sure.

Thanks
Direct from the owner's manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting. I triple checked my manual and that page just isn't there. :???: Hmm..... interesting. Maybe it's like my window sticker "not available at time of delivery." :confused:

·
Registered
169 Posts
MP2 said:
Very interesting. I triple checked my manual and that page just isn't there. :???: Hmm..... interesting. Maybe it's like my window sticker "not available at time of delivery." :confused:
I pulled that page from the 2006 electronic manual. I also double checked my paper one, and it's there. Your car profile shows you own an 06, if that's the case, I CANNOT explain this one! Odd....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Billabongi said:
Care to explain that air filter screw up? My car is a from a feb 05 run?
There are two types of airboxes and filters that were used in the early '05 models. One is big (new part number for the G6 - A2930C) and the other is small (listed in the owner's manual, also used on the 2.2L Sunfire - A1615C). No idea why.

The "long" story:
http://www.g6board.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=188&highlight=

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, another quick Question, what is the right Oil Filter. Seems the one my mechanic is putting in is really small. I know a 3.9 L engine cant be taking such a small Oil Filter

·
Registered
50 Posts
For whatever reason, the factory and dealers use a longer length filter than what the generic parts store brands give you. For example, FRAM always points to a tiny PH3387A for almost every GM engine... which is the same filter that they recommend for 2.5L Pontiac 6000's, 3400 SFI's, 3100 SFI's, etc etc. I always ended up using 3940 or something like that which is a long length one that has the same diameter face, so it screws right into place without a fuss. If you're not using a Delco filter, just match up a longer filter with the same mounting face as the smaller one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts