Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend had a transmission line pop off radiator after replacing radiator days prior...ran to O'Reilly's where they looked up the car and gave him Dex III...He brought it home where I went ahead and poured it in...no fluid out drain plug...I need more right? So I do my research-------dex VI was called for! Dex III not compatible w dex VI ENGINE but dex VI can go in dex III??!!! What do I do now??!??

·
Registered
724 Posts
If it were mine, I would plan to drain and refill the transmission. This would dilute the proportion of Dex III as you replace with Dex VI. If you wanted to be more thorough you could do this a couple of times after running the car to effectively replace the majority of the fluid. You could also consider disconnecting the transmission line and adding tubing to allow the trans to pump out the old fluid whilst sucking in new and waiting for the output to start running clear.

For the fill level, the engine should be running, the transmission should be at normal operating temperature and level. You should have also cycled through the gears / selector. When you get some trickling out of level check plug you are full.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I unplugged the tranny line and let the Dex III drain out overnight...waaay more fluid came out than what I had put in ..screwed/clipped it bk in and replaced w 6 qts of dex VI...now she overheats...filled the coolant reservoir as she was dry I noticed and STILL overheating! What NOW?! I kept the cap off as I poured car running to make sure she was good on coolant...my now ex bf lbvs unscrewed the tranny line from the radiator when ur supposed to unclip the clip n pop it out, right? Are both fluids now mixed in the damn radiator??? How do I fix it? Ugh I love a work in progress but this is getting too deep into the engine I feel like for me to save her😥😞 HELP

·
Registered
724 Posts
It is quite common to get air trapped in the system when you work on the cooling system. The things I would try is squeezing the radiator hoses to try and force some coolant round. You may have to do that a fair bit to get the air out. You should see the level in the fill / overflow tank drop a little if it is working. If I still had problems and I had a hill, sloped drive or jack available I would try doing the same with the front of the car raised to see if that helped dislodge the air. Some have found success with the method in tis video, others have said it does nothing. Hope you have good luck fixing it either way

How to Bleed Coolant on a 3.5 Pontiac G6 - YouTube

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sorry to say but if trans fluid is in the radiator and coolant, it is time for a new radiator. The cooler for trans oil inside the radiator has broken. Sorry to hear of your continuing challenges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts