Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone knows for sure or not, but I was wondering if the 3500/3900 engines were "flexfuel" engines. I know many of GM's engines are, and according to the owners manual, oxygenated fuels can be used. But it doesn't state if E85 can be run safely with the engine. Does anyone here know for sure if they can run off of E85? I think I'll try to contact GM (if I can find contact information) just to be sure incase no one knows.

The reason I ask, we have some stations here in Indiana that have E85 (15% gasoline, 85% ethanol) and its about $1.80 a gallon. That will really add up! Of course, it won't be worth it if it robs the engine of power, which I doubt it will do.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Info - Usage of E85 Fuels in GM Vehicles #05-06-04-035
Usage of E85 Fuels in GM Vehicles

Customer Interest in E85 Fuel
With the escalating cost of fuel, many customers have inquired if they are able to use E-85 fuel in non-E85 compatible vehicles. Only vehicles designated for use with E85 should use E85 blended fuel. E85 compatibility is designated for vehicles that are certified to run on up to 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. All other gasoline engines are designed to run on fuel that contains no more than 10% ethanol. Use of fuel containing greater than 10% ethanol in non-E85 designated vehicles can cause driveability issues, service engine soon indicators as well as increased fuel system corrosion.

Notice: Use of fuel containing greater than 10% ethanol in non-E85 designated vehicles can cause driveability issues, service engine soon indicators as well as increased fuel system corrosion.

In other words - please don't put E85 in your new G6 Coupe when you get it.

You might find this of interest

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/r_cars/car eng trans.html

Then look at available engines for the 2006 Impala/Monte Carlo.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, lovely. I was just interested. And I didn't know this until I did some research yesterday, but on Fords with the road and leaf decal on the cars and trucks...it means that they are flex fuel vehicles...learn something new everyday :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts