Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Silver 2006 G6 GTP Coupe
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be applicable to everyone.

In certain areas dealers offer a $3700 SmartBuy Rebate if you take the SmartBuy Financing (balloon payment at the end). I think it lasts until the end of June. It's a way to sell cars to people who cannot really afford them.

What you do is finance GMAC SmartBuy (kind of high interest - mine was 9%), get the extra $3700 off - then turn around and refinance ASAP (or pay off in cash). To complete SmartBuy Financing is REALLY stupid! It's like a really bad lease where you take all the risk and pay all the taxes. I have checked my contract and there is no penalty for paying off the SmartBuy loan early. I will be refinancing as soon as I receive my first statement.

I had to go to Chicago (80 miles) to get the rebate, and the dealer was initially very concerned about my residence zip code here in Indiana. My local dealers could not even begin to compete. A second dealer in Chicago area confirmed the rebate - same zip question too.

With my GM Supplier Discount and Rebates, I paid right at 21K even for a 26K+ GTP with 7 miles on it.

Maybe this could work for you. Your experience may vary.

LM

· Silver 2006 G6 GTP Coupe
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mkaresh said:
Why wait for your first statement? If there's no penalty, I'd refi tomorrow.

Probably could pay it off immediately, but I think it would be more work to find out the payoff and accomplish it before all is in place - and I suppose there could also be problems with changing the lien on the title a second time if it is attempted before the first lien is fully established. Some things just take at little time.

In any case, waiting until after making the first payment is what my dealer suggested. Since I am VERY pleased with them and the resulting price, I'm going to go with their recommendation.

By the way, for anyone that is interested - I will mention that my dealer was Mike Haggerty in Oaklawn, IL. They had 6 GTP Coupes (all automatics) in a wide variety of colors, all optioned exactly the same. FYI - I am NOT associated with Mike Haggerty Pontiac in any way - just appreciate how they did business. Found the car through the Pontiac web site / instant quote. Set all up by telephone/fax ahead of time (including financing) - many calls and responses and legwork by the salesman. They detailed the vehicle for my inspection/test drive, immediately upon my arrival. No pressure to buy extended warranties, policies, etc. Spent less than 3 hours total at the dealer - went there one time, and drove it home. Owner of the dealership called me a few evenings ago, to make sure I was happy with everything. A really pleasant purchasing experience, much different than anything in the past.

LM

· Registered
122 Posts
I got a smart buy from a Virginia dealer (I live in NYC) I traded my 05 g6 gt for a 06 gtp - paid 23,250 with red tag sale -he paid off my 12% loan -got a gmac loan for 3.9% @ 39 months -pay $75 less per month-balon is 16,000 which will be taken car of when I get another car with him--all in all it worked out financialy and car wise

· Registered
31 Posts
Interesting... I got my G6 from Circle Pontiac-GMC-Mitsubishi from Scherreville, Indiana, about a year and a half ago under the SmartLease. I traded in my '02 Grand Am for a fully loaded '05 G6. It was 27K but the trade-in and rebate brought it down to 22K. They gave me and my dad until the next week to put down $2,500 (to lower the payments compared to the Grand Am).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.