Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ....... I have owned my 2009 G6 for 3 months and am generally satisfied with it. I have owned many hydramatic equipped autos and this one is a little strange. (4 cyl / 4 speed hydro)

1. There is no visible gear position indicator. In the daytime, the alignment of the gear stalk is visible, but at night, my wife cannot tell the position as all lighted gears selections do not change with the selector and the stalk is non reflective black. The dome light can be turned on to verify the position. Most all other hydromatcs have both a console and dash indicator. If this is standard, I am thinking of modifying the plastic slide on the console.

2. ...3rd gear position is something other than a 3rd gear lock. Starting from stop will only get to 2nd gear. You can shift down from D to 3 if above 40 mph but get a drop to 2nd at 40 mph. Very strange.

One can live with these idiosyncrasies, but I wonder if GM engineering overlooked these 2 items?

............fred

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
1. I thought it does have lights on the gear selection. I usually just find the gear by memory. You know how far it goes down to D, 3, etc.

2. My wife has a car that has D, 3, and 1 (L for the G6s). I'm pretty sure that if you start from a stop and accelerate past 40 MPH that it'll eventually shift into 3rd. 3rd is mostly for hillclimbing or decending, it'll change into 2nd as much as possible to save your brakes when you're going downhill or chugging up a hill. That's how the wife's car works anyhow.

So I'm not sure about the first part but I'm thinking the car is working the way it's suppose to, even though it's definately not perfect.

Oh, and welcome!

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Wow I had to use The Google to find out what "Hydramatic" was and I see it was what Cadillac & Oldsmobile called their first automatic transmissions in 1939 - so I guess you've been driving for a little while now, fred :p

Anyway, as far as determining the gear position, I would think that it would only take a short time to get the "feel" for moving the lever 3 positions down to D (or 4 times for "3"). I never look down to see what gear I'm in - then again, I always just move it down to the bottom for M mode

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's :~) I think that the trans shift is what it is and must be lived with. When in 3rd the upshift is over 4000rpm @ 40+mph. A little much! It works OK as a off ramp downshift or if holding a speed above 40mph. My dad had a 41 Olds with Hydramatic and it was more sophisticated than this. The console gear positions are lighted, but do not change when the lever is moved. I can live with all this, but try explaining to the wife :~) The last Pontiac is a nice little car, but lacks some simple engineering. I probably should not be so critical, but in my 75 years, I have driven some fine GM products (mostly Olds). Unless GM comes out with a modification part, I can fix the gear light myself as it is easy to access. Thanks again, and I am glad to be part of the forum ..........fred

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Fred

I have a 4-cyl G6 like you, though I have the 6-speed. I've found that with all of the GM cars I've ever driven with the console shifter like the G6 you only need to push the button on the shifter in long enough to get the shifter out of the park position, then if you release it you can pull the shifter down all the way until it stops and you'll be in the normal Drive position. From there if you push upward without pushing in the button it'll go into Neutral but no further without pushing the button. Push the button and push up one notch and you're in Reverse. Then from Reverse you can pull down into Drive again by just pushing the button in enough to release it from Reverse. That may not quite replace the visual confirmation but that works as a by-touch indicator.

No idea about your shifting issues as my 6-speed shifts much differently.

-- Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts