Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my wifes 2005 g6 has passed the 50k mark and its time to do tranny service. Do I need to do pan drop and change filter or can i just loosen drain plug and get all of the atf out. I have a lexus and if you use drain plug you only get 2gts out. you have to unhook cooler line off and run engine to get it all 16qts out. Also how much tranny fluid and what kind do I need?

·
Registered
452 Posts
No need to do any maintenance on the tranny yet. It's designed to last til 100k miles according to GM. It uses Dexron tranny fluid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you do engine oil changes without doing the filter?????espicially after 50k
well i quess you didnt understand what I was asking. on my lexus you dont change a filter. It has a screen. And it is never changed. so to answer your ? yes i would change oil filter when changing oil, but that wasnt the ? I asked. I just want to know what all is recommended and at what mileage.

·
Registered
586 Posts
According to my owner's manual, the transaxle fluid and filter should be changed at 50k, when driving under harsh conditions only, due to the fact that this service is labeled as "severe service only". So it appears to be up to you. FYI, the manual's definition harsh conditions as "heavy city traffic with temps above 90F, mountainous terrain, towing, or delivery service".

·
Registered
586 Posts
Here is the verbage from the owner's manual -

"(h) Change automatic transaxle fluid and filter if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions:
− In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature
regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− When doing frequent trailer towing.
− Uses such as found in taxi, police or delivery
service.
If you do not use your vehicle under any of these
conditions, the fluid and filter do not require changing."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts