Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking for ways to install a deck with all the bells and whistles that won't break the bank for a while now. I got myself a galaxy tab 3 7.0 for myself for Christmas when they went on sale. after a couple of months, it ended up collecting dust until i realized it was almost the exact same size as a double-din.

I already had a JVC single din with no DIC dash kit. All that needed to be modified on the kit was to cut the back edge of the front trim piece to fit the thickness of the tablet. I then fiber glassed in a piece of Lexan behind the tablet to keep it secured(no pics of the work sorry)

the single din JVC got relocated to behind the driver side dash. I have a XM-FM adapter so the antenna reached with no problem. as for the main radio harness, I used T-Taps on the factory harness to extension wires to the jvc harness. the IR remote for the deck works with it behind the dash, so volume and all that is controllable.

I was originally going to go with a DAC from the tablet to the amps but the galaxy tab 3 7.0 doesn't support usb OTG. so i ended up going with a AUX off the headphone jack of the tablet to the deck. as for power, i used a old phone charger and ran it off my keyed hot that i use for my xm radio, i then wrote a script that turns the tablet on when it gets plugged into a charger.

all in all this project took me a day to get everything mounted up and tweaked. I welcome questions and feedback. Thanks for reading

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ive seen that done before. Kinda neat.

Sadly you can't use regular radio with it. Or have wifi on the go unless you have a cell plan with it. Or use a wifi hot spot on your phone. Which at that point you might as well use your phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive seen that done before. Kinda neat.

Sadly you can't use regular radio with it. Or have wifi on the go unless you have a cell plan with it. Or use a wifi hot spot on your phone. Which at that point you might as well use your phone.
I have free tethering on my phone so I use it as a hot spot for Google maps, Pandora, and Sirius xm on the tablet. I mostly did it for navigation more than anything else

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah thats a good idea. Tethering might be free. But the tablet still uses your data on your cell plan. Unless you have unlimited data then hey who cares?

My only annoyance I would have after awhile is to have to keep turning on the hot spot on your phone to connect the tablet to the web. But aside from that its pretty cool.

I thought about doing this with my ipad but didnt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah thats a good idea. Tethering might be free. But the tablet still uses your data on your cell plan. Unless you have unlimited data then hey who cares?

My only annoyance I would have after awhile is to have to keep turning on the hot spot on your phone to connect the tablet to the web. But aside from that its pretty cool.

I thought about doing this with my ipad but didnt.
I have plenty of data since im on wifi almost all the time on my phone. to get around having to always toggle my hotspot, i put a NFC tag on the inside of the center console where my phone sits in my pocket. when i sit down, it read the tag and toggles the hotspot on then the tablet connects automatically. since i use these tags at home and work to toggle wifi/gps/bluetooth on and off, i just added a task to those tags to turn the hotspot off.

the only thing i haven't been able to figure out is how to get the tablet to power down on its own without letting it die.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thats pretty sweet!

Imo I would have ran the charger cord to it 24/7 so it never died.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts