Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My o6 G6 finally needs a recharge on the A/c. My dealer will do it for 89.99 that includes everything. Is this a rippoff? Is it ok to use anyone for this? Im not a mechanic and never will be, so Im always looking for advice. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
i know you can get one of these at autozone for like 25$ Thats how I did my last car.
Those kits are OK itf you need to just add some freon. If your talking needing full service (I. E evac and charge) let the experts do it. What you don't want is air in the system. You need to find a shop that your comfortable with. Ask your friends (if you have any) where they go to have thier auto service done. I do most of my own work. If I can't handle it, I take it to my brothers shop. I'm no mechanic, I consider myself a hobbiest. Although I do have some nice tools!!:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Be sure if you recharge the system yourself, rent an A/C gauge at AutoZone (no, or limited cost). I know of a few people that had bought kits and the gauge was off, so they put too much in the system and thus, didn't work and caused even more problems. If you take precautions you can safely do it yourself for half the cost. On the other hand, if the dealer screws anything up, you can take it back instead of kicking yourself in the pants from running too much pressure and causing more problems on your own. If you think it's a risk you're willing to take, by all means and go ahead.

I would have myself believe that I'm rather intuitive when it comes to vehicle maintenance. I can do nearly anything mechanical including rebuilding engines, replacing gaskets and 4x4 hardware, but I won't go near the A/C system without proper training. R134a refrigerant is dangerous if you don't take the correct precautions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts