Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to do a full detail on my black g6, I've searched all over this forum ans still I'm a bit confused. I know the basics of detailing, but what I don't get is the complete process. This is what im planing
(All Meguiars)

Wash (2 bucket method)
Clay bar
Ultimate compound
Polish
Liquid wax

Now my ? Is do I have to do all that?? Clay AND compound...polish AND wax..??

Also are microfibers ok to use for the compound, polish and wax?? Applying and removing??

·
G6ADDICT
416 Posts
terrycloth or sponge applicator for the compound would be optimal. the claybar is for getting little stuff thats stuck on the paint off that your first wash couldnt. then the compound is to bring ur paint back to life, get scratches and swirls out ect... then polish is to make it shinny and wax is to protect. somone correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I do a full exterior detail every six months. Just did it the other day after I replaced the rear brake pads.

My steps:
wash
hand dry
clay bar
Mothers clean/wax
full carnuba wax put on by hand

When I wax, I open all doors, the trunk, and the hood slightly so I can get the metal areas that wrap under where it touches the weatherstripping.

If anything, white cars are the worst. Depending on the kind of paint/finish, it will look as if small rust spots are forming, but it's just dirt trying to penetrate the clear coat that you won't normally see on vehicles of any other colour but white. My G6 is a dark graphite metallic (not black, but close), and it cleans up rather beautifully.

For the wheels, I get a gallon of water and add a few drops of dish soap. Taking the cloth I even wipe down the tire sidewalls. Once dry, I take Nevrdull polish (fine steel wool like substance) and it takes the tiny spots and blemishes off the chrome wheels. I go over the wheel with a clean dry cloth. I then apply BlueMagic polish and use a drill attachment to burn it on until it shines through, then I buff with a dry cloth by hand. I also use the polish on the headlights, once every 2-3 months.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do a full exterior detail every six months. Just did it the other day after I replaced the rear brake pads.

My steps:
wash
hand dry
clay bar
Mothers clean/wax
full carnuba wax put on by hand

When I wax, I open all doors, the trunk, and the hood slightly so I can get the metal areas that wrap under where it touches the weatherstripping.

If anything, white cars are the worst. Depending on the kind of paint/finish, it will look as if small rust spots are forming, but it's just dirt trying to penetrate the clear coat that you won't normally see on vehicles of any other colour but white. My G6 is a dark graphite metallic (not black, but close), and it cleans up rather beautifully.

For the wheels, I get a gallon of water and add a few drops of dish soap. Taking the cloth I even wipe down the tire sidewalls. Once dry, I take Nevrdull polish (fine steel wool like substance) and it takes the tiny spots and blemishes off the chrome wheels. I go over the wheel with a clean dry cloth. I then apply BlueMagic polish and use a drill attachment to burn it on until it shines through, then I buff with a dry cloth by hand. I also use the polish on the headlights, once every 2-3 months.

Nice detailing, i have a white G6 and man does it just suckk ha. this might sound like a dumb question but do you know of anything that can help with the dirt? my car attracts dirt like i can barely detail it and then my car is already getting a thin layer of dust or something, also what wax do you use?:confused:

·
Registered
470 Posts

Nice detailing, i have a white G6 and man does it just suckk ha. this might sound like a dumb question but do you know of anything that can help with the dirt? my car attracts dirt like i can barely detail it and then my car is already getting a thin layer of dust or something, also what wax do you use?:confused:
Thanks, I just use Mothers wax (red container). There are different types, etc. Same with applicators. It's not really the wax you use, but how you apply it to the vehicle. A power buff is a good choice, but you have to be mindful that you don't burn the clearcoat, and not to wax in direct sunlight. Even with a power buffer it's best to go over the vehicle with a good hand chamois to get rid of any areas that seem uneven or contain swirl marks.

In terms of dirt itself, I haven't really had an issue myself so never looked into it. If I did, I would think that 2-3 wax layers would provide decent coverage where all you would need is to take a garden hose to get the surface dirt/dust off. My cars can get dusty, and i just run the garden hose on them for a few seconds. The outside tap on the one side of my house is soft water, so I don't get much residue on the paint afterward (water spots, etc). I owned a white car years ago, and it was fairly easy to keep clean but the paint was solid, not much gloss to it and no metallic flake which knowingly aided maintenance. I would wax it and you nearly couldn't tell the difference until it rained.

If you don't have a buffer and are thinking of getting one, be certain it is variable speed. One speed buffers are useless as they generate too much surface heat, and in some cases fling the wax right off the vehicle. I generally apply everything by hand.

A full detail, inside and out on my G6 (or another vehicle) takes upwards of 6hrs to do a proper job. Roughly 2hrs inside, the rest of the time outside, including about 45-60min for the wheels. The road salt in my area is downright crazy at the best of times. Even a slight chance of freezing rain = city manager shouting "lets salt the roads!" As it's been relatively above zero, and I needed to replace the rear brakes, I threw on the summer rims/tires a bit early.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks, I just use Mothers wax (red container). There are different types, etc. Same with applicators. It's not really the wax you use, but how you apply it to the vehicle. A power buff is a good choice, but you have to be mindful that you don't burn the clearcoat, and not to wax in direct sunlight. Even with a power buffer it's best to go over the vehicle with a good hand chamois to get rid of any areas that seem uneven or contain swirl marks.

In terms of dirt itself, I haven't really had an issue myself so never looked into it. If I did, I would think that 2-3 wax layers would provide decent coverage where all you would need is to take a garden hose to get the surface dirt/dust off. My cars can get dusty, and i just run the garden hose on them for a few seconds. The outside tap on the one side of my house is soft water, so I don't get much residue on the paint afterward (water spots, etc). I owned a white car years ago, and it was fairly easy to keep clean but the paint was solid, not much gloss to it and no metallic flake which knowingly aided maintenance. I would wax it and you nearly couldn't tell the difference until it rained.

If you don't have a buffer and are thinking of getting one, be certain it is variable speed. One speed buffers are useless as they generate too much surface heat, and in some cases fling the wax right off the vehicle. I generally apply everything by hand.

A full detail, inside and out on my G6 (or another vehicle) takes upwards of 6hrs to do a proper job. Roughly 2hrs inside, the rest of the time outside, including about 45-60min for the wheels. The road salt in my area is downright crazy at the best of times. Even a slight chance of freezing rain = city manager shouting "lets salt the roads!" As it's been relatively above zero, and I needed to replace the rear brakes, I threw on the summer rims/tires a bit early.

Ok thanks that was helpful. yeah i try to go for mothers brand but i used turtle wax this time. i did a layer by hand then by machine, next time ill try and just take it slow and make sure i get that shit smooth have the water dancing off lol. thanks. ill let you know how it goes

·
Registered
13 Posts
OP if you are interested in even more in depth info on detailing, I'd check out autopia. It may seem way over the top, but the tips and product discussion are top notch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts