Pontiac G6 Forum banner

a little help clearing up something...

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Perfessor 
#1 ·
Im getting ready to do a full detail on my black g6, I've searched all over this forum ans still I'm a bit confused. I know the basics of detailing, but what I don't get is the complete process. This is what im planing
(All Meguiars)

Wash (2 bucket method)
Clay bar
Ultimate compound
Polish
Liquid wax

Now my ? Is do I have to do all that?? Clay AND compound...polish AND wax..??

Also are microfibers ok to use for the compound, polish and wax?? Applying and removing??

#2 ·
terrycloth or sponge applicator for the compound would be optimal. the claybar is for getting little stuff thats stuck on the paint off that your first wash couldnt. then the compound is to bring ur paint back to life, get scratches and swirls out ect... then polish is to make it shinny and wax is to protect. somone correct me if im wrong.

#6 ·
I do a full exterior detail every six months. Just did it the other day after I replaced the rear brake pads.

My steps:
wash
hand dry
clay bar
Mothers clean/wax
full carnuba wax put on by hand

When I wax, I open all doors, the trunk, and the hood slightly so I can get the metal areas that wrap under where it touches the weatherstripping.

If anything, white cars are the worst. Depending on the kind of paint/finish, it will look as if small rust spots are forming, but it's just dirt trying to penetrate the clear coat that you won't normally see on vehicles of any other colour but white. My G6 is a dark graphite metallic (not black, but close), and it cleans up rather beautifully.

For the wheels, I get a gallon of water and add a few drops of dish soap. Taking the cloth I even wipe down the tire sidewalls. Once dry, I take Nevrdull polish (fine steel wool like substance) and it takes the tiny spots and blemishes off the chrome wheels. I go over the wheel with a clean dry cloth. I then apply BlueMagic polish and use a drill attachment to burn it on until it shines through, then I buff with a dry cloth by hand. I also use the polish on the headlights, once every 2-3 months.

#7 ·

Nice detailing, i have a white G6 and man does it just suckk ha. this might sound like a dumb question but do you know of anything that can help with the dirt? my car attracts dirt like i can barely detail it and then my car is already getting a thin layer of dust or something, also what wax do you use?:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.