Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is something new. Now that the snow is gone and most of the ice is melted, I broke out the G6. Just to see how it felt, I locked it up on a patch of ice and to my suprise, it did just that, locked up! No ABS action at all. I tried it again and the same thing... The ABS idiot light lights up at startup, as it should. I'll be calling the dealer Monday, but I don't have much faith in the service dept.

·
Registered
423 Posts
did it make the usual ABS 'buzzing' noise when you had them "locked up" or was it silent?

i for one turned off my traction control when on snow or ice. it was the constant noise from the system while it was functioning that drove me bananas.
after driving it both ways, i prefer to drive without traction control, as i said, on the snow or ice but WILL leave it engaged all other times, such as on dry and wet pavement.

·
Registered
606 Posts
PCB said:
Here is something new. Now that the snow is gone and most of the ice is melted, I broke out the G6. Just to see how it felt, I locked it up on a patch of ice and to my suprise, it did just that, locked up! No ABS action at all. I tried it again and the same thing... The ABS idiot light lights up at startup, as it should. I'll be calling the dealer Monday, but I don't have much faith in the service dept.
They will lockup at really slow speed, almost stopped.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was no sound at all, but for the sound of tires on ice. I was going maybe 20 mph when I locked them up, but they should still work all the way to a stop. I don't have traction control on my G6 V6, Action.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you don't have traction control on your V6, then you don't have ABS.

The ABS is an available option on the V6, but comes bundled with traction control. Better check your window sticker.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here ya go.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, this is going to piss me off... Was told it had "Front wheel ABS", 4 wheel ABS was the option.... Well, when I run it into a tree, I'll know what to order next time.. Like a Honda....

·
Registered
168 Posts
PCB said:
Wow, this is going to piss me off... Was told it had "Front wheel ABS", 4 wheel ABS was the option.... Well, when I run it into a tree, I'll know what to order next time.. Like a Honda....
Never heard of ABS on only two wheels.

What would be the point of allowing two wheels to lock up and not the other two?

You think a Honda dealer couldn't give someone bad information too?

·
Registered
132 Posts
PCB said:
LOL, ABS is optional on Hondas as well ;) . No offense, but I've never been "told" anything that I didn't also research myself. The "front wheel ABS" would have given it away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2 wheel ABS is very common on vehicles, including my Grand Cherokee. If you can keep the fronts from locking up, you still have steering. Locking the rears is not a prob if you know how to drive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
2 wheel ABS was standard on early 90's 2wd S10 (and perhaps other) pickups on the rear drive wheels. In the pickups, it was to help compenstate for the loaded/unloaded differences on behavior.

·
Registered
132 Posts
RKH said:
2 wheel ABS was standard on early 90's 2wd S10 (and perhaps other) pickups on the rear drive wheels. In the pickups, it was to help compenstate for the loaded/unloaded differences on behavior.
Exactly, It was called rear wheel abs on RWD trucks and very few RWD SUVs, and even fewer RWD vans. ABS only on the front of a front wheel drive car would be redundant, because the rear wheels, which are non-power and non-steering are what really need the abs because you have no other form of control in the rear. The front's need it to, but to regulate and create traction in the front, but not the rear of a FWD vehicle would be a disaster.

2 wheel ABS is has been history pretty much for many years. Was big in the 90s, died in the 00s. It's no longer common at all.

Blame can certainly be placed on the person who mislead you, but I'd mull over the specifications myself as well next time. I put 100% faith in my own research before I put faith in other people's research.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fusion said:
I have front wheel only ABS on my 97 Chevy S10
That would be rear wheel only...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fusion said:
Yes, you are correct; My mistake.
No biggie, just flows better with the conversation, lol! ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was going to post a smart ass coment saying "My ABS doesn't work either"

Until I saw the others figured out why your ABS wasn't working ;) Us 'V6' guys got shafted in a sense.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
miscreant said:
Exactly, It was called rear wheel abs on RWD trucks and very few RWD SUVs, and even fewer RWD vans. ABS only on the front of a front wheel drive car would be redundant, because the rear wheels, which are non-power and non-steering are what really need the abs because you have no other form of control in the rear. The front's need it to, but to regulate and create traction in the front, but not the rear of a FWD vehicle would be a disaster.
Frankly, after 6+ yrs of racing on dirt and paved circle tracks, I could care less what the rear end of my vehicle is doing. On a street vehicle, the front brakes are given somewhere around 70% of the braking force of the vehicle, since the weight shift is to the front wheels when under braking. On ice or some other surface less than ideal, it is the fronts that will usually lock up first. Since the fronts do the steering it important to maintain the rotation of the front wheels. This is why manufacturers installed front wheel ABS. Only fairly recently has the ABS system been used to regulate wheel speed on front wheel drive vehicles. Rear wheel ABS, such as what has been offered on trucks, was put in place to compensate for the vast difference in load weights you might have in the bed of your truck/van. If you have 2000 lbs in the bed, you'll be able take advantage of much more breaking force in the rear before lockup.
If you want to have a good time, and learn to drive in the process, find a large snow/ice covered parking lot or some other open area (private air strips are ideal). Beg or borrow a front wheel drive vehicle without traction control or 4 wheel ABS. Get up to 30 mph or so and lock up the rear wheels using the parking brake. You will find it is fairly easy to control your vehicle with both rears locked. After you practice this for a few hours, you will no longer be concerned with what the rear of your vehicle is doing, as long as you can steer with the fronts.
If you really want to learn to drive, enroll in one of the many performance driving schools across the nation. You will never know what going fast is all about til you do it on a race track, and do it correctally. We all think we know how to drive, but when you take a school, you find out just how little you really knew. And if you enroll in a "performance" school that supplies you with a vehicle, you will realize that these G6's are not and will never be "performance" cars. They have way too much front end weight, plow like a John Deere and do not have a favorable power/weight ratio. We can make them handle better, make them faster too, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
I'm sorry if I offended any forum members that believed "Fast and Furious" was a documentary. Real "Fast Guys" do it on the track, not on the street.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts