Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last July my AC started blowing warm, I was in the process of replacing my fuel pump (again) and my mechanic said he would throw some freon in for me to recharge the system. That seemed to fix the issue, I had ice cold AC again. I never really run my AC in the fall/winter and now that it's June and I need to use it again it's blowing warm.

Can I safely assume I just need to recharge it again since that is what fixed it last year, or is there any other sort of troubleshooting I should do first?

The issue is that I cannot tell he they just hooked up a can of R134 and put freon in, or if they actually did a full evac and refill, but since it was free I am assuming they just use one of those spray cans. I read up on these cans and it seems that many do not recommend using them, is that true for G6's as well or is it that people just assume they need freon when it's a low pressure switch or bad compressor?

Right now I get like 85 degree air out of my vents when it's 110+ outside so I think the compressor is working since it's colder than it would be if it was just air.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 GXP, 3.6L V6 sedan
80 Posts
Your can just be careful you hook it up correctly and that you do not over charge the system. If you overcharged the whole system it would have to be redone by a professional and hopefully you do not damage the compressor in the process.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There are few, if any, lasting repairs on an AC system that can be done "on a budget". If you just want it to last a brief period, you can go the cheap route and add some R-134. Just had mine repaired and the two main hoses were leaking and needed to be replaced. The compressor checked out good, so I decided to spring for it as I hope to get several more years out of it. - Mark

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have used the cans with the built-in gauge before with some success. You could also consider one with stop leak and the UV dye so you get an idea where it is leaking from if the stop leak does not help. Sometimes the leak it is as simple as a missing cap on what might be a slightly leaky Schrader valve. Other times it is more serious and you may only be delaying the inevitable, like the others have mentioned. The auto stores sell replacement caps if they are missing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Those cans with the gauge are pretty much junk. Your system needs to be checked to see if it's low on refrigerant. If it's low you have a leak and that needs to be repaired before the system can be recharged. There are no easy cheap fixes for the DIY person unless they have access to AC gauges, vacuum pump, R-134, and a good understanding of how an automobile AC system works. Sadly most of us don't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Save yourself some headache by getting a DYE test kit for A/C systems.....it will show you where the leak is, and I'm pretty sure you have a leak somewhere, don't waste $$ on recharging if you lose it in a short time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those cans with the gauge are pretty much junk. Your system needs to be checked to see if it's low on refrigerant. If it's low you have a leak and that needs to be repaired before the system can be recharged. There are no easy cheap fixes for the DIY person unless they have access to AC gauges, vacuum pump, R-134, and a good understanding of how an automobile AC system works. Sadly most of us don't.
Thanks, I found a local mechanic who said he'll do a real evac and recharge for $150, however I think I need to find the leak first so I don't have to do this every summer.

Save yourself some headache by getting a DYE test kit for A/C systems.....it will show you where the leak is, and I'm pretty sure you have a leak somewhere, don't waste $$ on recharging if you lose it in a short time.
Thank you, I called a mechanic and he'll do a dye test and recharge for $150 for me I think that is my best bet to I can find the leak and keep the R134 from leaking again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts