Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, seems like one issue after another with this car. Wonderful.

Driving a 2009 G6 GT 3.5L. AC worked fine this morning from what I felt (didn't really have it on, had windows going) but definitely worked yesterday no problems. Today, I go to turn it on and it's just blowing warm air. I don't even hear the compressor turn on or anything.

I think I checked the right fuses (Fuse #1 in the engine compartment fuse box right next to the battery?), but maybe I'm missing more or didn't find the right fuse. I'm hoping that it's a fuse issue as everything was working fine yesterday.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should look at before I shell out another crazy amount of $$$ for this car?

Ian

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hey everyone, seems like one issue after another with this car. Wonderful.

Driving a 2009 G6 GT 3.5L. AC worked fine this morning from what I felt (didn't really have it on, had windows going) but definitely worked yesterday no problems. Today, I go to turn it on and it's just blowing warm air. I don't even hear the compressor turn on or anything.

I think I checked the right fuses (Fuse #1 in the engine compartment fuse box right next to the battery?), but maybe I'm missing more or didn't find the right fuse. I'm hoping that it's a fuse issue as everything was working fine yesterday.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should look at before I shell out another crazy amount of $$$ for this car?

Ian
Fuse 1 is the AC clutch fuse yes. Now find the AC clutch relay (34) in the engine compartment fuse box & swap it out with another identical one (there are several 8866s in there) temporarily to see if that fixes it. If no joy swap them back & report back here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Fuse 1 is the AC clutch fuse right. Now find the AC clutch relay (34) in the engine compartment fuse box & swap it out with another identical one (there are several 8866s in there) temporarily to see if that fixes it. If no joy swap them back & report back here.
Nope, didn't seem to fix the issue.

Anything else I should look at? I still didn't hear anything kick on when I pressed the AC button. The light is lit up but it's still blowing warm air.

Edit: And yes, Fuse 1 is the AC Clutch Fuse.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Nope, didn't seem to fix the issue.

Anything else I should look at? I still didn't hear anything kick on when I pressed the AC button. The light is lit up but it's still blowing warm air.

Edit: And yes, Fuse 1 is the AC Clutch Fuse.
Is the AC clutch engaging the compressor?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I don't believe I hear the compressor turning on at all. I should be able to hear it with the car idling, correct? If so, I don't hear any change when I press the AC button.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
No, I don't believe I hear the compressor turning on at all. I should be able to hear it with the car idling, correct? If so, I don't hear any change when I press the AC button.
Grab a flashlight & shine it down on the compressor & see if its turning with A/C ON.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where would I look in the engine compartment and how can I tell if it's turning on or off?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the temperature gauge working?
My G6 had a bad thermostat and wouldn't come up to temp .The computer then shuts off the a/c and the temp gauge stops working.
Just an idea.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the temperature gauge looked like it was working fine. Needle was at the middle of the gauge or so (forget what temperature that is).

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Is the temperature gauge working?
My G6 had a bad thermostat and wouldn't come up to temp .The computer then shuts off the a/c and the temp gauge stops working.
Just an idea.
I know there is a high coolant temperature AC clutch disable (237deg) but I'm not aware of a low coolant temperature clutch disable. It is true that a lack of input signal from the ECT will disable the AC clutch. It follows that an intermittent ECT signal will produce an intermittent AC clutch. A lack of ECT input will also result in the cluster gauge zeroing out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way guys, where can I locate the AC Compressor in the engine bay? I'm having one hell of a time finding it... Pics would be appreciated!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Front most on the bottom. I'm guessing it's not cycling. Several possible reasons for that.
Anything I should try? Or are all reasons only able to be fixed by a shop?

Edit: It might sound like I don't know anything, but I'm the type of person where if you tell me what needs to happen, I'll figure it out without breaking everything :p

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Anything I should try? Or are all reasons only able to be fixed by a shop?

Edit: It might sound like I don't know anything, but I'm the type of person where if you tell me what needs to happen, I'll figure it out without breaking everything :p
Is it turning? If you can't tell me that then we're done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I don't think it's cycling. The unit itself is spinning obviously from the belt, but it's not compressing at all to my knowledge. Here's a quick video I just took. HD should be available in a moment.

I have to run to Autozone/O'Reilly Auto Parts to pick up some oil anyways in just a few, so I'll check to see if they can tell or not.
Edit: Before I leave, if they say that the AC is not cycling what should I be looking to fix then?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It looks to me like you are looking at the wrong pulley.The pulley below doesn't look like it is cycling at all.That is the A/C ,not the top one.The front of the bottom pulley should spin then stop,spin then stop,etc.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
It looks to me like you are looking at the wrong pulley.The pulley below doesn't look like it is cycling at all.That is the A/C ,not the top one.The front of the bottom pulley should spin then stop,spin then stop,etc.
Look at your car. It's impossible to get a better camera angle on that A/C pulley.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I don't think it's cycling. The unit itself is spinning obviously from the belt, but it's not compressing at all to my knowledge. Here's a quick video I just took. HD should be available in a moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcMJ_FwfF1g

I have to run to Autozone/O'Reilly Auto Parts to pick up some oil anyways in just a few, so I'll check to see if they can tell or not.
Edit: Before I leave, if they say that the AC is not cycling what should I be looking to fix then?
Man, I have got to learn to embed a youtube video like that. That is very useful.
Clutch is not engaging the compressor at all. I forgot to ask if you have auto climate control or manual.
While we have narrowed down the possibilities, it's still a pretty good list. And I don't believe in throwing parts at problems. The ECM requires input from several sensors to allow the A/C clutch to operate. Lack of input from any one sensor results in a disabled clutch. Could also be the clutch itself or it's wiring.
Is the MIL light ON? You should have Autozone check for DTC's even if not. Maybe that will give a clue.
You might want to call a dealer & find out what they'll charge to diagnose a disabled A/C clutch condition. Then you might be able do a DIY repair.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts