Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on what to check. 2005 3.5 L GT. Went to leave work on a hot day and just got a click when trying to start. Got a jump and started right up. Battery was a couple of years old so replaced it. Started right up. Went to clean up then go to work and just got a click again. Jumped it and it started. Drove it a few miles then turned it off and it started right up. Several starts the next day without a problem then just got a click. An hour later it started fine. Hate to turn it over to a shop to find the problem, it just sounds too simple but I don’t know what to look for.

·
Registered
59 Posts
alternator. Having the exact same problem here. It charges the battery while the car is on so when we clean our cars the lights stay on, then we get the occasional random no-start/:

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
It sounds like a starter/starter solenoid problem to me. Had this problem on my cutlass. A jump would just push it that little extra bit to get it to click and start. Since you're getting a single click, not the rapid fire you get when the battery is low, I'm leaning towards that.

Next time you get just one click. Try it again or maybe give the starter a tap with something. It may also have a dead spot in it. I would try to crank it over and over and over and over until it finally caught and started up. Annoying but it worked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
had the same exact problem with my GTP. Took it back to the dealership i bought it from and it was a bad alternator. since they replaced it i havent had the problem since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally think I found the problem. Since the starter and solenoid are in the front of the engine, the solenoid connections had collected dirt and crud that must have built up enough to ground out when moist. Cleaned all the connections and it has started just fine ever since. I may try some kind of cover to keep it from happening in the future. Thanks for the ideas and I will help with other’s problems if I can.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I finally think I found the problem. Since the starter and solenoid are in the front of the engine, the solenoid connections had collected dirt and crud that must have built up enough to ground out when moist. Cleaned all the connections and it has started just fine ever since. I may try some kind of cover to keep it from happening in the future. Thanks for the ideas and I will help with other’s problems if I can.
Slathering it up with dielectric silicone will help repel water & prevent corrosion.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1343781404&sr=1-1[/ame]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts