Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 G6 GT Sedan 3.5L VL LX9
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into cleaning my AC condenser radiator. The fins are fairly clogged with what looks like sand. If came from San Diego and went to the beach a lot. So likely sand.

Still, even if the condenser was completely clear, it looks like the main radiator fans are higher up and might only cover the top half of the AC condenser radiator. Maybe it would benefit from a 3rd fan in front of it.

Has anyone ever installed an extra fan that is only on with the AC compressor? Would be even better if there was an airflow sensor to not power the fan when the car is moving.

I haven't research it yet, but anyone have good success cleaning sand out of the condenser radiator?

NOTE: Checked AC temps just now, about 95F outside and night. Center vents as low as 28F deep inside the tube when pointing the sensor into the opening. 40F on the side vents. I am sure it's not as cold when it's 115F and in the direct sunlight. I will check that tomorrow.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I do clean mine every year (I do this for the house HVAC as well). After the first time i did get better readings from the HVAC manifold gauges. I guess it was the first time it was cleaned since new, so 10+ years of crud. I did not use anything high pressured, just the flat or jet from a normal garden hose and some simple green to help clean. If I had stubborn areas I would consider the AC Coil cleaners that expand into the bubbly foam to push crud out. I have not attempted to modify the fans or cooling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my AC condenser. Looks like sand in it. The dirtiest part is right behind the center column if the bumper. Is this considered a clogged condenser? I don't think a water hose will do much except for the center dust.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
time for replacement ouch
Actually, after looking at my 2009 Toyota Sienna that the AC works fine in this same weather, my G6 is looking really good. Which confuses me even more. Look at these pics of my Sienna. At night with a flash so the pics are not as sharp but you can still easily see it looks way worse and more clogged than my G6. So what is going on?

Pics below are from my 2009 Toyota Sienna AC condenser.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts