Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 G6 GT Sedan 3.5L VL LX9
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really not sure what section this fits best in. Cleaning off the adhesive seems like a detailing/cleaning item but the damage fix seems like problems and solutions section.

The previous own of my 2005 G6 GT Sedan took great care of the car but made a poor decision to mount a rearview camera screen on top of the center dash using the included adhesive tape. Baked on really hard. I knew I would likely damage the finish trying to remove it but I had to try.

In the picture you can see that I indeed took the finish right off the plastic. Before I waste effort doing more damage from using a makeup remover wipe on this.

1. Is there a product better suited to removing baked on adhesive without taking off the finish? By baked on I mean that the adhesive is no longer gooey and sticky, but hard as if it was cured. So my guess is that isn't coming off without taking off the finish too.

And then 2. Is there a good product to create a new finish on the plastic that will last a long time and handle mild cleaning?

·
Registered
2005 G6 GT Sedan 3.5L VL LX9
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had good results with this product. Your piece may put it to the test. Let us know.
On mine, the layer of texture coating has completely pulled off the surface with the adhesive and is raw glossy smooth plastic underneath. No restorer product will add that layer back. I would need to remove the rest of the area and somehow coat the whole thing again. So not sure what I am going to do now. A new center console is about $200 I think I saw. So I will probably keep looking for a used one and maybe one day try to find a way to stripe and re-coat this one. :(

Mostly wanted to show people why they shouldn't use tape and adhesives like this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts