Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all! I need some advice/suggestions about my new 2006 G6 GTP Coupe... I absolutely HAD to have the Granite Metallic with Ebony Leather interior, and the only one available did NOT come with a sunroof. I almost left, but the dealer assured me he could have a power sunroof (or is it a moonroof? anyone know the difference?) installed for me and it would be just like the factory-installed ones. I bought the car and LOVE it, but am having reservations about the after market sunroof... It has a lifetime guarantee against leaking or malfuction, but ... do I want to take the risk, or should I learn to live without it? Unfortunately, I already paid for the sunroof to be installed, and you know these dealers, they probably won't let me back out of it (i.e., refund my money if I change my mind).

Has anyone ever had this done on ANY vehicle? How was your experience? Is this a wise decision? Any advise or suggestions are welcome! This is my first post - I just got my GTP Coupe 2 days ago (12/18/05).

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
should be no problems. Are they actually doing it at the dealership? Or are they sending it out to someplace that specializes in aftermarket sunroof installations? As long as it will be covered by some type of warranty, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the dealer put one in a new Malibu I bought back in 1998. They sent it out to an Auto One to have the work done. It was a little smaller than the factory ones, and I think on the Malibu the factory ones retracted into the roof, but the one they put in retracted over the roof. Because of the nature of these, they don't open quite as far, but I kind of liked the look of it when it was open.

I did have some problems with it, but then again never took care of it, like lubricating the seals. The motor never gave out. Never had any noticeable rust around the hole they cut in the roof. I think the brand they put in was a Webasto, which I believe is the same company that makes the panoramic roofs for the G6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Mike, they are not doing it at the dealership, but the dealership is sending it to a "reputable" place and it will come with a "lifetime warranty"... I'm mostly worried about leaking, I guess. And they'll have to move my XM Satellite antenna a bit... I'm just worried about the car not looking right afterwards. All the coupes have the sunroof that slide up and out of the car, so I don't mind that. I guess I'm also worried about reducing the resale value by doing something "after market". But heck, I've had the car for 2 days, why worry about resale? ;)

Thanks again! I appreciate your comments!

·
Registered
488 Posts
personally, i don't really like the look of the coupe when the sunroof is open. I hardly ever opened mine in the summer. It would be cooler if it had a roof that just slid back into the roof instead of up and over it.

I'd think something like this would actually bump up the retail value a bit, since it's being done through the dealership.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... the dealer led me to believe that I "couldn't" factory order one to my specifications... this is actually my very first brand new car that I've purchased alone (without a wingman, so to speak), so I probably got pushed around a bit, but . . . I still love the freakin' car and keep looking at the window thinking "is that thing really MINE????" LOL But I digress... that's why I didn't order one.

I also don't really like the runroof slid open, I like to "vent" it, which I think looks cool, and I just like the light coming in. Unfortunately, with a coupe, there's nowhere for the glass to retract into, so that's what you get. :(

I have 60 days to decide, so I guess I'll keep sleeping on it. :)

Thanks again for all the input!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi there, shouldn't really be any problem with the sunroof sealing if the shop has experience in doing it, as stated, it may not have the sliding sunshade for when you don't want the sun coming in. :glasses3:
For future new car purchases, go to the website for the make you want and play around with the "build it" http://www.pontiac.com/vehicles/selectVehicle.jsp
button, to figure out the equipment you really want to have. Even if you don't want to wait for a car, by placing an order, it is likely that you can locate one that the dealer could trade one of his vehicles with the dealer holding your dream car http://www.pontiac.com/vehiclelocator/pontiac/locatevehicle.jsp?brand=divisional&originatingBrand= (or drive to the one located by the vehicle locator link.) Work up your deal first if your local dealership is agreeable to doing this so you don't become a victim of an unscrupulous salesman. If the salesman balks at your request for the swap, speak directly to the new car sales manager. They shouldn't pull any BS saying they can't do it or it will cost more to do a trade like that... walk away if they do.
Dealers trading stock happens all the time, in fact the last two Pontiacs I have bought through my local dealer have been purchased this way and sometimes it actually is a boon to the dealers involved as the cars they agree to swap may have been on their lots for over 90 days, the longer they have a car sit on their lot the more it costs them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts