Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radio reception on my 2006 G6 Sedan is horrible. I wondered if any other owners out there have tried installing an after market antenna for better reception, or if they have a fix if this is a common problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My eSI repair database doesn't cover the 06-07 G6 but the diagnostics say to check continuity of the coax cable from the antenna to the radio and/or amplifier.

I don't know if the G6 has a similar problem but I do know that a common problem with the GEN-V GA was that there was an antenna connection behind the front passenger kick panel that commonly disconnected causing poor reception.

·
08 convertible
200 Posts
Right. Poor radio reception is never "normal" in any modern car. Something is broken or faulty in some way. Bad coax connection is a prime suspect. The radio itself could be defective. So no, I don't believe an aftermarket antenna would solve your problem.

Is the reception bad on all stations, both AM and FM?

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
then whats that black thing sticking out of my quarter panel?
Im guessing you have a convertible? Sedans and coupes antenna is in the glass.
Signal booster is under your headliner toward the back. It can go out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I will try and tie a few things together here. My car is a sedan, and the antenna is definitely in the glass. The reception is weak on all stations, even ones I know that normally get good reception in my area. I will try to get access to the coax at the back of the radio, and I assume there is another coax connection at the back glass. I will wring it out with a multimeter and make sure there is good continuity. If it is not good, does anybody know the run of the coax? My intuitive thought is that it goes behind the front passenger kick panel and through the right side rocker panels to the trunk. The reply from "off-track" (above) leads me to believe there may be a connection behind the kick panel as well. This will take some time, but I will post my findings afterward. It may be a few weeks, though.

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
Ok, I will try and tie a few things together here. My car is a sedan, and the antenna is definitely in the glass. The reception is weak on all stations, even ones I know that normally get good reception in my area. I will try to get access to the coax at the back of the radio, and I assume there is another coax connection at the back glass. I will wring it out with a multimeter and make sure there is good continuity. If it is not good, does anybody know the run of the coax? My intuitive thought is that it goes behind the front passenger kick panel and through the right side rocker panels to the trunk. The reply from "off-track" (above) leads me to believe there may be a connection behind the kick panel as well. This will take some time, but I will post my findings afterward. It may be a few weeks, though.
There's an antenna amplifier under the headliner. According to my factory manual, the "Antenna Amplifier Module" is located "Right rear of the roof, under the headliner".

So the wire from the rear window grid goes to this amplifier. From this amp, the coax goes to the radio. There's also a pink wire from the radio which supplies power to this amp.

I'm not sure of the routing. If I can find it in my manual, I'll post back. For now, my best guess is the coax goes down the C-pillar on the passenger side, then behind the rear seat ahead of the passenger side wheel well, then under the carpet towards the front, coming up behind the carpet in the area between the radio and glove box.

In my experience, the contacts on the grid on the rear window break loose. Inspect the window and check the wires. I think there should be 3. Two are usually about halfway up, one each side of the window, supplying power and return for the defogger. The third wire is usually up high on the glass, connected to a separate grid near the top of the glass that functions as the antenna.

If the wire is broken from the glass, you can get a repair kit at parts stores. It uses conductive epoxy for gluing the contact back onto the window.

If the antenna is connected to the amp, the next thing to check is to see if you have power and ground at the amp. With the radio on, check to see that you have 12V on the pink wire at the amp. Also check that the amp is connected to ground - that its ground connection has not come loose or become broken.

My thinking is that your weak reception is either a broken connection from the grid to the amp, or no power to the amp.

If you need to trace the antenna from the amp to the radio, it's a bit of a pain, but not too awful - it's not a heater core :)

You'll need to remove the rear seat, and the front passenger seat, along with the trim along the rockers. But follow the wire, and only remove what you need to as you go from back to front.

But before you do that, pull the head unit and inspect the antenna connection there as well. That is, look in the obvious spots first, then start the tedious part of removing seats, trim and floor coverings.

HTH.

Doug

·
08 convertible
200 Posts
If you need to trace the antenna from the amp to the radio, it's a bit of a pain, but not too awful - it's not a heater core .
Check for continuity of the coax between the 2 ends (front and back) first. You only have to dig it out in the unlikely event that the coax is broken in the middle.

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
Check for continuity of the coax between the 2 ends (front and back) first. You only have to dig it out in the unlikely event that the coax is broken in the middle.
Good point, I agree - do this easy step first. But keep in mind, the coax is a wave guide. It can be damaged enough to impair the signal without the center conductor failing the continuity check. For example, if it's been rubbing on something, the outer shield could be messed up which can result in a weaker signal at the radio.

FWIW, I need to do this on my F-150 :) Every time, after a rain, I get static on my AM stations. I'm thinking, somewhere on the coax, there's a bad spot that's contributing to this. Alas, I haven't mustered the energy to tear into it :blush: I'd rather sit at the keyboard instead :)

Doug

·
08 convertible
200 Posts
But keep in mind, the coax is a wave guide. It can be damaged enough to impair the signal without the center conductor failing the continuity check. For example, if it's been rubbing on something, the outer shield could be messed up which can result in a weaker signal at the radio.
It's a stretch to call coax at 100MHz a waveguide, but he has bad reception on all stations, AM and FM. So a coax that behaves the same at 1Mhz and 100 Mhz doesn't have any waveguide "problems".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So. The continuity on the coax is good, both center wire and shielding. The shield is not shorted to the center conductor or ground. I found the stud that connects the coax to the backglass antenna, and the connection is fine. I took the pink colored wire off of the antenna amplifier module, and there is no voltage there. The wiring diagram I have shows that the power comes from the radio unit. Does this mean that the radio/DIC unit is the culprit? God, I hope not.

·
2007 gt retractable
281 Posts
So. The continuity on the coax is good, both center wire and shielding. The shield is not shorted to the center conductor or ground. I found the stud that connects the coax to the backglass antenna, and the connection is fine. I took the pink colored wire off of the antenna amplifier module, and there is no voltage there. The wiring diagram I have shows that the power comes from the radio unit. Does this mean that the radio/DIC unit is the culprit? God, I hope not.
not a big deal,just hook it to a circuit thats only on with the ignition switch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts