Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering is anyone has install an aftermarket XM or Sirius tuner. I have tried and tried to figure out where and how to mount one and have come up with only one viable solution. A gooseneck mounted from the passenger seat bolt coming up next to the dash.

Anyone install one and have pictures and/or ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sirius Tuner

I took a piece of styrophome like packing materiel and stuck it between the emergency brake lever and the console. I cut a couple of holes throught the packing material to slide cable ties through. I used this as a platform and tied the radio base here. It works pretty well but I am looking into the Terk XMDGM100 unit that should work with my 6 disc changer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sirius

I didnt like the brake setup i had so I tried 2 sided tape onto the dash and that didnt work either. I went to Circuit City and they have this XM unit that is fitted to slip into a cup holder and has a mount built in. I bought that and snipped off the part of the mount that the XM radio would connect to and mounted my Sirius receiver to that. It looks much better than the previous method.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about doing that...

I work for Circuit City and my Roadshop manager suggested that I try that as well but I do not want to lose a cup holder. Maybe I should try it and see how I like it. I am just tired of spending money trying everything and not liking how it looks. :mad:

·
Registered
122 Posts
xm best buy

my g6 did not have xm-went to best buy but did not want wires all over. he suggested a kit about 75 and a receiver that he put in glove box. all in alkl it cost about 300.00 with install--no wires and i use the remote control to change channels-only thing you can't see the xm unit but no extra wires

·
Registered
73 Posts
I "installed" a Roady 2 in my G6 Sunday.

1)Tapped the heated seat fuse in the rear fusebox for circuit that is routed under the front passenger seat (seat bolt for ground). Added a 12V accy plug there.

2)Put the XM antenna on the rear decklid, ran the wire down beside the right rear passenger seat, under the door jamb plastic, and under the front passenger seat with the power wire in step 1.

2)Removed the G6 dash plate that pops in above the accy plugs and fed the cord from the Roady 2 power plug (under the seat) along and under the floor console, then up thru the lower dash and out of the hole created by removing the G6 name plate. Also ran the XM antenna cable thru that same hole, then used the supplied Roady 2 mount (two sided tape) just above the accy plugs (still acccessible).

Everything works like a champ. Only time I lose service, or get fadeouts, is when I am parked in the carport, sometime.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sirius Unit

Hey folks, My Sirius install was very easy,

Went To best buy in and the install guy mounted my unit right below the a/c controls in that little whole to the left side of the console. he took the dash apart hid all the wires and to mount the unit, the took to stirps of mounting metal with the holes in it bent them into a v shape and screwed it in the counsole all wires hidden, and the whole unit sticks out about 3 inches doesnot get in the way and is very easy to reach

way easier than that damn goose neck thing

Todd

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dplotta said:
Hey Golf_n_motorc, got pictures to share for that install?
I want to put in Sirius, but still debating how to run the wires.
Wish GM offered a Sirius tuner box for the G6. :(
No pics, yet :mad:

But since the installation, my ignorant self realized where the main fuse box was located (under the radio) as well as the abundance of grounding locations there, and the power comes from there now (tapped the hot side of one of the accy plugs).

·
Registered
124 Posts
But, what about your warranty...?

Just a curious note... since I had to forego my XM option due to the panoramic sunroof, & I do want to someday acquire the satellite radio option (though I haven't decided which one to invest in -- any suggestions & why); do these alterations void your warranty at all? If something goes awry in the wiring (whether you or someone else does the work) what is your outlook on having the warranty take care of the mechanical end of your car(s)?! :confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
From my standpoint, it's simple aftermarket accessories, and other than the DVD player tap, it's connected the same way it was intended - just in a different, concealed location. If GM wants to try to void a warranty for something like that, good luck.

Mine is done (by myself)

1) where the wiring I added (an accessory plug for the XM receiver to plug into and a 12 volt tap added to the rear of one of the existing 12volt accessory plugs for my DVD player) can be removed to where a technician would never know it had been there.

and

2) in such a way that any problems (shorts or anything that would cause damage) will blow a fuse either in the factory box or in the XM accy plug before damaging the vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Aftermarket Sirius

I purchased a Sirius One receiver from the Sirius online store. I installed the antenna on the most forward portion of dash valence, an inch or so from the windshield centered on the valence. The receiver has hardwired power and FM out spliced to the radio's antenna wire. All wires are routed to the back of the small pocket in the lower dash. The recevier is small enough to fit inside the pocket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.