Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering as to if anyone has put a aftermarket shift knob on their automatics and if so how to do it and what would be some good ones to use? I’d like one that a round knob sorta like one from a manual car, I think the stock one of too bulky

·
Registered
88 Posts
Manual transmission shifters generally use a threaded knob that's easily removed and (possibly) substituted. The problem with replacing knobs used on automatic shifters is that they're all proprietary and most incorporate a locking mechanism to prevent movement except under certain conditions. The G6 family shifter has a "squeeze" lever that disengages the lock (though the shifter mechanism on the floor has additional restrictions built into it). The knob is held on by a set screw (there's a YouTube video that shows how to remove it) and once removed, you'll see that the shaft is hollow and there's a plastic rod through it that the knob moves to disengage the lock. I shortened the shaft on my car (about 3/4") that required modifying the knob and shortening the lock rod. Virtually any knob replacement will require custom fitting. The G6 shifter is different from the other Pontiac shifters I've seen (ie: Grand Prix) and I've never seen direct replacement aftermarket knobs. If you're mechanical and find a shifter from another car that you like, you might be able to get it to work, but you'll have to modify the knob to fit and accommodate the locking mechanism.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts