Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody put an aftermarket headunit in the G6? I've been going to place after place, best buy, circuit city.. everyone telling me something different.. so then i went to this highend custom shop and they told me that it doesn't need the gm class II harness, so basically the chimes and car vitals don't run through the factory unit. Also if someone has one installed, can you post a pic, i would like to see the dash kit mounted. By the way.. i'm getting a DVD Flip out and navigation installed

·
Registered
39 Posts
I guessing i should work, you would problably loss( i'm guessing) all your driver info. like temp and oil live and trips odo and much more. unless the new head unit can control it. you would also loose the the command for remote start and keyless entry funtion. Trust me I was thinking the same thing. Do you know If you can upgrade the speaker without insident. I know the GA had something funny if you had the moonson.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Car Audio Question

Is it possible to have an external device, or LCD that is mounted within the dash itself to read the drivers info? I actually traded my 04 F-150 Supercrew for the G6, taking the system with me. Now I am running $3000 worth of audio equipment through the stock deck, and it sounds like s***. Any suggestions? Maybe an external EQ between the stock deck and the amp?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dude, i feel your pain.. I am having the same problem.. But, there is a solution coming very soon (next couple weeks) or so i've heard.. Metra part# 99-3303 is an in dash kit with an LCD which reads all the factory information.. The LCD is located under the HU where the pocket in dash kits usually are.. it's going to look really clean once we get it installed..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm also having a similar problem, I'd like to change the entire stereo system: speakers, sub, amps, headunit. Another problem i'm having is finding a head unit which will match the colour of the dash lights (redish) I found a Kenwood, but i'm not sure about Kenwoods reputation in the Car audio department - if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the head unit mess with the remote start and remote keyless, somebody said that a couple posts ago, im thinking of installing a pioneer flip out tv (not nav) but im not gonna lost my remote start and keyless for it. Also, where did you get the install kit? THanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only downsidethat u get is that you lose the display. Also as with most aftermarket radios u lose the steering wheel controls, but u can buy an interface for that. You also need an interface if u want to keep your onstar. Remote start works fine as do all the other features. If you get the right harness you can hook up your factory stereo at any time to change settings. You can buy the kit anywhere it's the metra 99-3303. Hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have XM on my stock unit, if i get a pioneer unit with XM in it, is it just an easy plug and play thing, can i just plug in the antenna thats already installed and everything and use the pioneer unit to control it? or is the installation more complicated than that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm looking for the best replacement option.

Apparently the Kenwood DDX-7017 unit is the best. It plays DVDs, where the Pioneer AVIC-D1 doesn't, the lighted buttons are red, matching the G6s interior lights, and it can control some of the functions that would have been lost if the stereo is replaced.

I'm now deciding between the two units. The only reason I'm not 100% is cause I want the Pioneer for its XMs NavTraffic. Up to the second road conditions, accidents/construction, is something you can't get with standard Nav systems. However, the pioneer doesn't play DVDs.

Which do you prefer?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I actually bought the kenwood double din, it looks great but it will not fit in the opening, you need to have a custom mounting kit made, they were charging me $450 to do this so i ended up selling the unit. Also there is a kit out there to get the information center that just came out about a week ago and i just bought it on ebay. ( model - metra 99_3303) It is pricy but its worht the money to have your info center, a;so if u buy a double din unit it will be impossible to install this jit. hope this was uselful, ask if you need to know anything else. Oh by the way my pioneer Avic-n2 is great, gotta love the navi :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
custom mounting kit? what punks! after i just decided I wanted the kenwood too. you and i must have the same taste. i didnt want the avic-n2 cause i prefer the factory installed look, plus it looks like your screen blocks the air vents in the middle of the dash.

was the $450 just for the custom mounting kit?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.