Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so ive been looking around and putting a list of parts togeather to do a full on sterio system swap(currently monsoon 6-disk).
i dont care about the dic at this point so my plan is to wire a new DD with this harness
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12641_Metra-70-2103.html
and use a d class mono amp for a single sub. all of this i think i have covered. my question is how do you re-wire the speakers to run off of the amp in the HU, obviously they are currently running off of the monsoon amp in the trunk. I realize im going to have to cut a bit of the harness, but thats no biggie.
id also rather not fool around with adaptors or anything, unless noone has ever had a problem with them...
thank you for any help

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2009 Base 4-door, without the Monsoon. I just put in a Sony CDX-GT660UP, and I used this kit... http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120993303/Metra-99-3303-Chevy-Pontiac-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?showAll=N&search=99-3303&skipvs=T . I got that one cuz I do like having the DIC, and since I bought the HU and kit from Crutchfield, I paid half price for the Metra kit. There is a factory amp in the rear deck, but it attaches only to the rear 6X9's. The front 6.5 components run off something built in the stock HU. My kit above, or the kit you linked, should just hook up and go. Nothing but the kit wires and the Sony wires had to be connected (I soldered the wires), then plug and play to the car harness connections. Be sure to get the Motorola antenna adapter too. Crutchfield shows both our year cars use all the same install-kits and accessories. So the answer to your question...."how do you re-wire the speakers to run off of the amp in the HU"....all you need to do is connect the harness and it all connects to where it needs to go. No cutting of the car harness necessary. The new HU power will be super clean compared to the stock HU, and even though that new power will also go thru the car's amp as well, it will still be much cleaner and clearer and louder than what you are used to. At least it was a huge improvement in my car. I also replaced the speakers though....with Precision Power components and JL 6X9's. Good tip. ;O) Good luck!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Here's your list:

-Headunit
-Speakers
-Sub + Amp
-Amp kit
-Wiring harness
-Dashkit (Metra 95-3302)
-Antenna adapter (Metra 40-GM10)
-Steering wheel control module (optional)

For wiring the speakers, I would suggest running all new wiring since the stock wiring runs to the factory amp from the radio. It will be less of a pain to just run new wiring. For the front doors, though I would tap into the stock wiring to get through the molex so that you dont have to cut into it.

Also since you dont state that you are going to, you need to replace the factory speakers. The factory monsoon speakers are 2ohm and the headunit likely have a minimum impedance of 4ohm meaning that it will become unstable at 2ohm and you will ruin the internal amp of the headunit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the answer to your question...."how do you re-wire the speakers to run off of the amp in the HU"....all you need to do is connect the harness and it all connects to where it needs to go. No cutting of the car harness necessary. QUOTE]

thanks for the reply, but i think we may be a little different if you dont have the monsoon. how do you like your new HU? im still undecided

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's your list:

For wiring the speakers, I would suggest running all new wiring since the stock wiring runs to the factory amp from the radio. It will be less of a pain to just run new wiring. For the front doors, though I would tap into the stock wiring to get through the molex so that you dont have to cut into it.

yeah i figured i needed new speakers too. but basically using wires that are already ran through the car as the new speaker wires?
how did you do your setup?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I actually had the non monsoon system in my car, but I replaced everything.

Installed a DDIN headunit using the Metra DIC kit, Ran RCAs back to the trunk for my 4 channel and mono channel amps.

Ran all new wiring from the amps to my speakers and sub.

However, as I said in my post, the monsoon system has an amplifier between the headunit and speakers, so if you plan on bypassing that then you will want to run all new wiring.

From what I have read, people have been getting subpar results from using the monsoon amp with an aftermarket headunit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, thanks for the help. im starting to think it would be worth the money to just get a 5 or 6 channel amp and run the speakers and sub off it. or just a second amp

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Depends on the power you want. 5 channels tend to have limited mono and stereo channel power. If you want to run alot of power, you're better off with separate amps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts