Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install a pioneer 980BT unit into my 07 G6 and I have been doing some reading which says that there is no accessory power for the current head unit that is provided in the factory wiring harness. Since this is the case, what is the best way to connect the accessory line for my after market unit so that it will stay on just as the factory unit does (on after ignition is turned off until either the door is opened or a few seconds have elapsed). If some one knows a line I should splice into or a place in the fuse box to tap into please let me know.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try the C2R-GM11b PAC harness, from everything I've read this harness is supposed to retain the factory warning chimes and G.M.'s R.A.P. line which s there version of the accesory line. I have'nt tried it in my G6 yet but I plan on it.

·
2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was looking at that kit myself. I am planning on purchasing a 7" touchscreen pioneer to put in my 2008 G6 and I don't think that kit will work. I think I have to get this one here in order for my receiver to fit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120953302/GM-In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html

Anyone know?
I am just now looking into replacing the head unit. Not sure exactly what all I need in order to to this. Looks like it might be a task.

·
2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
The one i posted is not for Double Din dash size. If you purchasing a 7" screen thats not a flip out, you will indeed need that one.

thats the one that came with my pioneer avh4100

·
Registered
18 Posts
awesome. That is the same receiver I am purchasing. Do you like it? What harness kit did you get? and does everything still work as needed? Any soldering done, or did the harness you purchased pretty much plug right into what is existing? If you let me know what you got and how it worked out that would be great! I've never put a receiver in myself, however I know I am more than capable. Just trying to get all my questions covered before I go tearing into my new car.

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
To outfit your car and see what fit and works with your specific model

"clicky here"

hope this helps some

·
Registered
18 Posts
yea I have been on crutchfields site a lot. Which is where I found the stereo. I see they have all the wiring harnesses and stuff there. I just was wondering if there was any difficulty in putting the stereo in. The people at crutchfield can only tell you so much. I don't have an issue putting in my own new stereo. I just am not going to do an soldering and such (which it claims I wont have to on crutchfield and when I talked to their tech staff) I just wanted some verification from someone who's done it. I would like the old wiring, the harness and the new receiver to pretty much plug into each other. I have no problem purchasing the harness, I just want to know its going to work.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
The one i posted is not for Double Din dash size. If you purchasing a 7" screen thats not a flip out, you will indeed need that one.

thats the one that came with my pioneer avh4100
Is this unit capable of displaying the same info as the stock unit (Trip A, Trip B, AVG MPH, AVG MPG, Current MPG, Oil life, Tire pressure)? Does it connect to stock OnStar & XM?

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
I have the stock radio with a stock to a rca harness in that plugged in so I could get my subs to hook up. I never did any of the soldering. But I put all that stuff in a year and a half ago lol. So I really dont remember what it looks like back there. But I plan on getting a DD Radio soon to go with the subs make them sound better and the radio look better also. When I do that if it is anytime soon I will let you know.

I keep my "Crazy J" thread in Members Rides updated pretty often when I do something new. So if you check it out every so often you will see when I install it and pictures posted so that way it could help you out.

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
Also try PMing pooners he might have that answer for you I think he did a swap on radios and I dont if he had to get a new harness for the newer radio he put in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is this unit capable of displaying the same info as the stock unit (Trip A, Trip B, AVG MPH, AVG MPG, Current MPG, Oil life, Tire pressure)? Does it connect to stock OnStar & XM?
You have to buy a separate XM unit that will integrate itself into the receiver. I am looking at getting one that I can move between my car/truck/and apartment ( In this case it won't be integrated fully into the pioneer receiver ). The OnStar still works. I don't think there is anything special you need for that besides maybe the harness. AND as for the other things, MPG and all that info. I don't think none of that is going to be usable anymore :(

·
Registered
290 Posts
i know it has been forever since this was posted on but there is a metra kit that you can relocate to the glovebox to get ur information center back with a double din unit. But even on amazon, it will run you no less than $150

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe there is a thread that shows using this kit and then a double din kit. They cannibalized the screen and buttons off of the DIC replacement and mounted it in the glove box/center console. Then they just used the standard double din kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay i know this thread is old. but i cant post my own thread and i dont know why. I NEED HELP ASAP! im in the middle of installing a head unit in my 2009 g6 gxp. how ever, the sound wont work. the antenna is hooked up, the radio displays the station, all the wires are connected but the sound just will not work. does anyone know why? can anyone help me fix this?

·
FlyLikeAG6
35 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my 06 G6 GT, starting with a cat back and audio. Does anyone have any suggestions on what stereo to get? I'm looking for one with back-up camera capabilities, front aux, touchscreen, bluetooth, navi capabilities, can emulate everything factory like the steering controls etc., and overall good quality sound.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey M16....what's the brand/model radio?....is there any wire harness or kits being used?...Monsoon - yes or no? No info, no can help.

As far as audio Mighty1, there are so many choices out there. Sound quality and features is mostly up to the listener's needs and budget, and anything aftermarket will blow away a factory radio if you know how to tune/tweak. I just put a Sony CDX-GT660UP in my 09 G6 (with top notch Precision Power and MB Quart speakers) and it works great with the second Metra 99-3303 that Crutchfield sent me. First one had a malfunction internally. Cat-back, can't help there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts