Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've scrolled through many threads on aftermarket radios here but couldn't exactly find what I was looking for. I have a 07 G6 sedan with no monsoon radio. I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and was looking to upgrade the radio as well.
I'm looking to get a double din touchscreen radio (no preference on brand) and I'm okay with losing the DIC. My question is are there any aftermarket radios that are plug and play meaning I don't need to install a new wiring harness? Or are there aftermarket radios with basic wiring harnesses that don't require a lot to install.
I went to Best Buy and they wanted $400 for the radio and a harness (installation would've been free) but I didn't have that plus I like doing the work myself if I'm capable of doing it, especially if it saves a few bucks.
Any help would be appreciated, especially considering the amount of aftermarket radio posts.

Thank you,
Devin

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you have to get the expensive wire harness setup. I don't think there's plug and play. Mine is an 09 built in spring of 08 with no monsoon. So I'm guessing they're prob similar setup. I just got double din couple weeks ago but haven't hooked up my interface. Point im making is yes youll prob have to buy that harness. I just went thought this couple weeks ago. If you could give me any tips on why my lights flicker with the beat at night. Not sure what's happening. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, what set up did you use? I’m thinking I’ll either do that double din or swap in a 08 or 09 radio with AUX and have the dealer program it. And with the light flicker, there may be a connection that’s drawing too much power, not sure if that’s tied into the radio or not

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've done the aftermarket install on an '08 with no monsoon and I did it without the fancy harness. While you don't "need" the fancy harness, there are two good reason to buy the $80 harness interface.

1. You can keep you chimes
2. Much MUCH easier to install

Having said that, I'll summarize my install.
  • I performed the speedometer swap with one from a 2009.5/2010 where the DIC is now in the dash using steering wheel buttons to navigate. It was easy and is very practical in daily operation. I highly recommend this.
  • I had an old harness that I used on a early 2000's GM car in the past laying around. It connected nicely with the aftermarket stereo but I had to take each pin out of the car end, wrap with electrical tape, insert one at a time to the car harness, hold them in place until all of them were inserted, then more electrical tape to hold them in place. It was painstaking and consumed an entire afternoon.
So my method works, the stereo plays fine, but I spent way too much time on it (that I could have been driving and playing my new stereo) and I don't have chimes.

If you're into saving money, buy a gently used aftermarket stereo and get the $80 harness interface.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts