Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, still having issues with my A/C unit on my 06 G6. Can someone answer a question for me please?

When you place your temp control in the recirculation button mode (little button up top on the left hand side, not on the right hand side which brings in air from outside the car's cabin), and then hit your A/C BUTTON, does the little light below the A/C BUTTON blink 3 times?

Trying to figure out my problems, thanx.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. Car is in the shop at this very moment. A/C IS SUPPOSED TO BE ON AND RUNNING WHILE ON RECIRCULATION mode. It is actually more powerful and colder in RECIRCULATION mode than in the outside air mode. The GM dealership that has the car explained to me that the A/C light blinking 3 times then solid as it is doing now while on the RECIRCULATION mode means that there is a problem in the system. Can be electrical failure, system failure, or low freon. The freon in mine is perfectly fine, so it is something other. Before taking it into the shop this afternoon I checked things over again and it appeared to me that the clutch on the compressor was not kicking in and staying in. Thus, the unit is failing. Should know tomorrow the end result and cost.

As for the owner's manual explanation that was quoted above, that has to do with placing the temperature control in the RECIRCULATION mode and ie: then turning on the defroster. The defroster will not operate in that mode, so the light for RECIRCULATION blinks 3 times and then goes to outside air into cabin mode.

·
Registered
911 Posts
i just tried last night to use ac while in recirculation and it worked. last summer when i tried i know for a fact it did not work and blinked 3 times. toward the end of the summer i had to bring my 6 in for my ac not blowing as cold as it should and it did have low freon

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay guys, surely we have all heard this from a dealership before..... 'WE CANNOT REPLICATE THE PROBLEM YOU ARE HAVING.'. Yup, that is what the dealership told me after having my car in their shop for a few hours. I went round and round with them and they insist there is nothing wrong with the system. They did a freon pressure check and everything was fine there. The compressor, which keeps engaging and unengaging (THE PROBLEM!!) when it is above 85 degrees outside, engaged and stayed engaged for the entire testing procedure. They even did a HVAC test and that did not show any issues. No codes thrown either in the system.

So I paid them their fees and got nowhere since the problem would not replicate itself. Then I went to another GM dealership and although their service department was closed, I personally got in and out of 5 G6's from over the years and tested each one to see if there was a problem with the blinking lights in Recirculation Mode. All 5 of the cars responded the same way..... IN RECIRCULATION MODE, you hit the A/C button and the little light below it flashes/blinks 3 times and then stays solid. I spoke with two salesmen and they both stated that this is the normal and proper way for the system to react.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,351 Posts
I never hit the ac button in recirculation mode. I have the ac on for a bit till the car starts to cool then I hit the recirc button. Works like a champ.

No reason to recirc hot air....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts