Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm coming up on 50k miles and the stock air filter is looking pretty dirty . I was wondering if there are any other good direct replacement filters besides K&N. I don't want to drop 50+ bucks on something if there are other good filters that will work just as good. Let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
that's the route I went, I didn't want to drop the 50 bucks for it but now that I have I'm glad it's a lot cheaper in the long run plus way better than a crappy FRAM

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Increased MPG?

Thank you all for you input, did you notice an increase in fuel economy? i figure that with a 1 mpg increase the cost difference of the filters will be made up for in around 10k miles, not to mention that there is no replacement needed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Proper-T

I had K7N drop ins on my other car, but upgraded BOTH the G6 and Taurus to a drop in paper Amsoil air filter. The filter for the G6 ran about $30 with delivery (Canadian dollars here) at my dealer price and I can't say mileage has improved, but it's nice not having that oil smell come out of the vents.

I find that if you want a K&N you have to clean it well before the recommended time frame, because if it gets too dirty, you won't be able to back wash all the crap out. Also, depending on ambient temp,m it can take 1-2 days for the filter to dry completely before you can re oil it. For the sake of convenience and no oil smell, I got the Amsoil drop ins. It's been in over a year, in both vehicles, and neither one is dirty by any means yet. I don't really calculate mileage on my G6, as I keep it in the 2000-3500rpm range around town (auto stick!).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Has anyone tried a NPN air filter? They are washable and reusable and at 14bucks, seems like a good deal.
Be careful. If you have to oil it, walk away. If you don't have to oil it, walk away. You do not want to wash a cotton gauze filter. They can handle some moisture (driving through fog for instance) but aren't meant to be soaked. The fibers can become weak and the last thing you want is pieces of an air filter going into the engine. However, if the filter is metal reinforced so the gauze keeps shape, it might be OK. If the material is thin, and doesn't require oiling after you wash it, don't buy it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've found that most newer cars don't benefit much from a high-flow air filter because the OEMs do a much better job at efficiency than they used to -- unless you're adding a cold-air intake and doing other mods, it's not that much of a difference.

If you stick with OEM or a good brand like Wix, you're going to be fine.

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
It seems to me like the only reason why one filter would get dirtier faster than the other is that the K&N filters more effectively and picks up more particles or you're driving in dustier/less-clean environment (which I doubt to be the case). But I'm a noob tho...

Proper-T
... It's been in over a year, in both vehicles, and neither one is dirty by any means yet. I don't really calculate mileage on my G6, as I keep it in the 2000-3500rpm range around town (auto stick!).

·
Registered
470 Posts
It seems to me like the only reason why one filter would get dirtier faster than the other is that the K&N filters more effectively and picks up more particles or you're driving in dustier/less-clean environment (which I doubt to be the case). But I'm a noob tho...
Yes. I had a K&N cone filter in my Durango R/T and I let it go nearly two years before I decided to clean it. With the heavy salt dust throughout the winter here in Canada, I washed it out several times and it would not come more than 50% clean. I didn't want to take the chance of washing the oil out with the dirt still in the filter, then for me to reoil the filter from the outside and have the old dirt eventually go into my engine. A new paper gauze cone filter for $30 from Amsoil was the better deal - and there's no 'oil smell' either during that first month after installation! I only put on about 21,000kms in that time period, or roughly 13,000miles.

For the price of a new K&N, let alone the oil & cleaning kit, I can get a new paper filter every 6,000kms for $5. As I have an aftermarket cone intake the filters run $30+tax (cheaper ones can be had), versus the $65 K&N wants for a replacement cone filter. I thought about it, as I had some K&N drops in that served me well over the years and I cleaned them yearly with no problems, perhaps because they were flat, not round? Who knows.

For a cone filter, I'd stick with a paper gauze and Amsoil warrants their filters for 100K kms or 60K miles. For the price, it's ultimately the better deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.