Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!!! It's been a little while since I was on here. I'm writing this thread because a coworker and I both have G6s and was talking about moving the battery to the trunk and running the air intake over to the drivers side! :D That way it isn't going around the hot engine before going in to it!

Just wanted to get all of your opinions first! Thanks ahead of time! :)

·
4,052 Posts
The only problem I see with that is you can't really heatshield it. So you'd be bringing in warm engine air. Right now with the crabs heatshield once I get cruising my intake air temp is usually just a few degrees higher than the outside temp.
But who knows might be something worth experiment with.

·
Living the MINI life...
98 Posts
I think that is a cool idea. You could try to make your own heat shield. Keep us posted if you do it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as a heat shield is concerned....Im thinking about leaving the shelf the battery sits on and just drill a hold through that?! What do you think about that? ....but yeah we were kinda worried about the heat from where it would be sitting too

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would totally get a CRAB system....but I can't afford the price tag for it!!! :-/ $150 just for the pipe and almost $200 for the shield, filter and mounting stuff?!? Not from this college wallet! :-(

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Sounds like a pretty doable plan. Probably make the motor sound a lot better. Seems like the biggest concern is the battery relocation. Once done you can easily get a universal intake pipe section from Autozone for like 40 bucks. Comes with a tube and a coupler with a mounting strap, Just cut to fit and add a filter.

Sounds like a pretty great idea for you V6 owners!

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Its been done.

The pass side has a 4" opening for air.

The drivers side has a 1/2" opening for battery venting.

Soooo....no place to get air or run the air.

Whats interesting is pop the hood of an Impala and check out how they did it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We haven't really decided if we are going to actually do it! That's kinda why I posted on here...to see if anyone else did it and how easy it might be. We aren't much of mechanics but we know a little about everything! haha "Air in here...goes in the engine...comes out over here!" lol But mods are just some things we think/dream about.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Lampoon...Funny thing is my bro has an Impala!! lol Guess I gotta look at his! But I was just wondering if anyone has done this before. and if they have....do they have pictures

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
On my 98 GP the battery was on the left and the airbox was on the right. Almost directly the opposite of my G6.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^^^^^^ I Second That!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I also would like to see some pics. Did you use a heat shield of some sort?

·
Perfessor
177 Posts
Seeing the way mine is rigged (stock V6 3900 [2007 G6 GT]), box on left when facing engine compartment, I'm wondering if I just need to remove the top and sides of the box to install a cold air system. But I have heard so many different thing about it.[Good] __> Good gas mileage - good sound - good performance. [Bad __>]Lots of adjustments to fuel air system - not enough air flow - sucks up water during heavy rain downpours - (south Florida)...

It's rather difficult to determine which is correct, you know???

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
The V6s respond to an intake much better than the 4 Banger, I don't know about air/fuel 100%. But since the MAF sensor and housing don't get changed with the addition of an intake the chances of running into problems is very minimal, if you keep the filter up in the engine bay then you won't have much of an issue with water. It will get wet but not enough to damage anything... unless you submerg the front end in water. You can always add extra weatherstripping to aid in repelling water.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Yeah, it is pretty bad. Clearly sound control priority over air flow. But that's not unexpected.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts