Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a small 6 gallon, craftsman air compressor that runs up to 150 PSI, CFM at 90 psi is about 3. I'm wondering if anyone has used this small of a compressor with an air impact wrench? I would only use it for tire rotations really so it wouldn't get heavy use.

The CFM required on most of the ones I've looked at is around 5 but google search has some folks that say it's ok but the compressor will just be running more.

I've received good advice on here before so I am hoping to some thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
The compressor will run it. But it will kick on more. Once you're done it would be a good idea to go around and hand torque all the lugs to be sure they're all tight enough.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Should really use a torque wrench to put the lug nuts back on and make sure they're to the right specs. Don't over torque them. Specs are in the manual I believe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
470 Posts
Most torque wrenches to obtain maximum force (350+ft lbs) is overkill anyway, and you can damage the threads/bolts/hub, etc. If the compressor can remove the bolts, kudos. It's best to hand torque the nuts between 90-110 ft lbs.

I have a small 6gal compressor also. It's decent for what it is and what I paid for it versus a 240V compressor that would require me to rewire the garage. Anyway, mine is rated at 2.8 CFM and has a 50% duty cycle. Meaning, if it runs for 10 minutes, it should be off for 10 minutes. To go from 0-125psi doesn't even take a minute. My compressor is oil lubed, which knowingly helps durability. I don't use the compressor with an impact wrench, but it's great to use with an air ratchet and other lighter tools for things that don't require super high torque.

I change the oil out twice a year and don't have any issues. I use it quite a bit between three vehicles, a motorcycle and multiple small engine equipment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, if I do get one it would only be for removing the lug nuts. I'd continue to use my torque wrench to tighten them to make sure I've got the proper torque. I can't tell you how many times I've struggled with lug nuts that are obviously over tightened by shops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts