Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got full crabs, but today i am changing my bulbs to xenon, and i know the resonator can be reached after removing the passenger headlight... so if i took it out, would it make my 6 sound even throatier?:beer:

·
Registered
44 Posts
yes it would make a big differance, unless you're engine likes sucking thru a straw or hot air

·
Registered
146 Posts
i don't find it much different performance wise but it's noticeable. i can feel the slightly improved throttle responce. and it's louder for sure.
since the airbox is removed. there's no point keeping the resonator unless you want less noise or more air restriction.
you also need to remove the wheel well on passenger side as well if you want to move it in ONE PIECE.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't find it much different performance wise but it's noticeable. i can feel the slightly improved throttle responce. and it's louder for sure.
since the airbox is removed. there's no point keeping the resonator unless you want less noise or more air restriction.
you also need to remove the wheel well on passenger side as well if you want to move it in ONE PIECE.
yeah i rememebr seeing an uninstall guide somewhere where it can be screwed off or SAWED off... id rather screw it off and add to my collection of oem parts :D

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
Its one bolt. Jack up your car and remove your front pass wheel.
Then take out the couple of screws and push pins and pull your wheel well liner back
and you will see it. The bolt is right there. It will come right out.

If you try and take it through the headlight it will not fit and you will have to cut it up to remove it.

Its actually a very easy removal. Look at the top thread here. There are pix.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Definitely sounds better with it removed!

--matt
Sent from Moto Atrix 4G using AutoGuide app.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok..so other than the 1.5lbs of weight, and what looks like fender well air, what are people seeing for gains or is just sound.

I do it regardless while doing brakes, but would like to be able to tell the G/F why.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tell her to get back in the kitchen and make you a sammich....and to stop questioning you.
Funny...its her car and she's paying for the mods. On my SS or my GTP-she better STFU about anything I do.

But would still like an answer.

K-thanx

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
Its not about sound or weight...its about freeing up the air's path.
Without a stock box attached to it there is no vacuum to pull air through it.
It is like a horn.

With an aftermarket intake you need to remove it.
Sans an aftermarket intake it is there to capture water. Since the stock system is enclosed it is designed to siphon it away from the path.

With aftermarket it needs to come out...without it needs to stay.

What is it you want measured? Gains on the intake resonator? I have better things to do with my time. Maybe someone else has done it but in the 6 years Ive been here I have yet to see someone measure something like that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I need nothing now, looks like you answered my question. Sorry but not having the car in front me makes picturing some of this a little difficult. Honestly I think I'm learning more not having the car infront of me-I researching more and asking more questions ;).

Thank you for the info!

It makes sense, but making sure what I'm thinking is what it really is.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Definite increase in throttle response. Also hard not to spin the wheels on hard accel from stop.

--matt
Sent from Moto Atrix 4G using AutoGuide app.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I plan on removing this while i'm painting my calipers this weekend:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts