Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help my friend fix his 05 or 06 G6 which has a very confusing problem. While driving the car will run out of electrical power, ABS light comes on the the battery light, transmission solenoids fail to shift then the car dies. Running on just the battery it can start and drive for a few hours and even start 3-4 times.

We have tried a total of 4 alternators now including a reman, his original and two OEM junkyard alts. We have fully charged the battery on a trickle charger three times and tested it twice. All are good every time.

When we jump start the car the voltage at any RPM stays between 12.1-12.4 Volts versus 13+ which is what it should be.

How is voltage/current regulated in this car? What should I replace to fix this problem? Are there any recalls about this with G6s?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
You know what, I didn't check the fuses. Are there inline fuses for the alternator? Perhaps in the wire or in the fuse box? If so are there more than one or just one n the fuse box?

When my friend gets back from work I will check voltage at alternator versus voltage at battery. I bet alt is 13+ and battery is 12v.

EDIT: If someone has Alldata can someone please look this up for me?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Possibly the fusible link is blown between the alt output & the starter solenoid (from there it feeds B+). Check wire continuity end-to-end. If blown, do not reinstall the original alt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts