Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The guy at firestone quoted me $810 for my front struts to be installed on my G6, it's a v6 3.5L with 91200 miles, they have been squeaking for some time and they said that the driver side is really bad.

Is this too much?

Edit: this probably should be in general maintenance, could this be moved?

·
Registered
447 Posts
If youre handy with tools at all you can save yourself some money and do it yourself on the weekend in a couple hours, not too difficult at all

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine took 45 minutes to do the front. Buy the struts that are already fully assembled. Got mine at ebay for $108. Theres a video on youtube by A1 Autos. That video made it easier to do. Check it out.

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
Mine took 45 minutes to do the front. Buy the struts that are already fully assembled. Got mine at ebay for $108.
45 minutes to R&R both fronts is good time. Very good time. Heck, 45 minutes to do one corner is good time :)

I've never used the pre-assembled units before, so my times have usually been more than 1 hour a corner (and all weekend the first time I did a set of 4, on my 2007 Impala). But I may use pre-assembled on my G6. At 170k miles on the originals, it's about due. The handling is still decent, but I'm starting to feel what I suspect to be the front strut mounts. So getting pre-assembled struts gets me new mounts, too.

And if the new ones last half as long as the old, I'll be happy.

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts