Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, heres a little background.

Currently I have a Boss Chaos Extreme 5 Channel 1800 amp which is hooked up to a Pioneer CVR 10" dual voice kicker with a 2 ohm load. I used to have my subwoofer hooked up with a 8 ohm load, but changed it to 2 ohm. Now my amp gets pretty hot while in use. I've read the manual and it says that it accepts 2-8 ohm loads (page 16 of the manual) yet later in the manual it states something that I don't understand for Min. speaker impedance. (page 21).

Here's the link for the manual:
http://www.bossaudio.com/support/ind...loaditemid=584

Alright, so I'm stilling having the cut off issue with my amp. The protect light doesn't even come on when it happens either. The whole amp just shuts down for like 30 seconds then resumes. It almost seems like someone pulls the power cord or something yet that is fine. The amp also becomes scorching hot whenever it is at 2 ohm impedance, but fine at 8 ohms.

Would it be ok if I set the sub to 8ohms and raised the gain? With 2 ohms, I'd have it at the 1/4 mark, but the 8ohm would require it to be higher to match in power. I noticed that my Power On wire stays at the 12v yet the battery wire goes to 1v when the amp shuts off. Is it possible that my 8 gauge wire is affecting it? The battery wire has a 80 amp fuse and 8 gauge rating and the amp has 3 25amp fuses.

Thanks for any advice.

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
thermal protection would be my guess. when it cools off enough past the shut off point, it comes back on. try holding a ice pack on it to keep it cool and see if it still shuts off. If so you can mount some cooling fans on it.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one computer fan which is attached and also the amp shuts off despite the heat. I've had it dip out at 8pm and the amp was semi warm.

I'm going to add a capacitor and 5+ gauge wiring. If that doesn't work, then I'm going to change the ohms of the subwoofer.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theres only one sub and it's dual voice so that leaves a 2ohm or 8 ohm configuration. I'll update once it stops raining and I can deal with some electricity without the risk of it pouring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts