Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! For the past couple of months my car has been making this weird squeaking noise when I accelerate or go over bumps. The ride is not the same anymore, I feel every little thing. I brought it to a local mechanic and he 1st thought it was the bushings, but then realized the front strut on the driver side was leaking. Since I purchased an extended warranty I took it to the dealership to be fixed. They had confirmed that the 1 strut was leaking and the other was beginning to leak also. I was glad it was going to be fixed only to find out that the manager denied it and said it was normal and the strut was simply "sweating". (But he did conveniently tell me I needed new brakes and rotors all around, when I know I did not) I told him I wanted to test drive it with one of their mechanics and it magically stopped making the noise. Well, it has gotten worse, and now I've noticed a grinding sound when I am reversing out of a parking spot slowly and the wheel is completely turned.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem? and could driving on a bad strut cause other problems wit the car?

I'm so fed up with GM service!! I'm bringing the car back in 2 days and they better fix it or I am going to raise hell.:mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having similar problems with mine. I bought it used a year ago..and it ahs around 49000 on it. Went to the shop to see if there was anything in the suspension that needed replaced, and they said it all was fine. There is also a knock when making turns that is quite annoying.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My squeaking was the front struts. I also had a wobble sound coming from the front, while the struts were out we noticed the Strut Links were shot(rubber was rotted and torn). The grease was all but gone and it was free roaming easily).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went back to the dealer today-they can not duplicate the noise and said the struts are fine! Manager was not there to test it with me, but the car still sounds exactly the same. Can someone please tell me what this damn noise is so I can have it fixed :confused:

Here is is video, you can hear when the squeaking when step on the gas.

I am starting to regret buying out my lease-I should have just given it back and ran from the GM lot as fast as I could!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Honestly if you are feeling every little thing then the struts or strut links. We literally ignored the bounce test, and took off a strut and were able to hand compress it easily. It never came back out. This is with 35k on the car. The strut-links being worn may affect the ride and turning(heard a wobble/clunk).

I don't want to point you in the wrong direction though. I can't watch the vid(blocked at work). You might need to lube up that bracket in the rear(squeek) per another post here if you haven't done that already. That cured a lot others problems.

·
Autotech instruct
2 Posts
Greetings I am new to the forum I hope it is as informative as the forum I use for my Benz. Anyway there is an answer to your strut problem it is quite possible that it is not the strut itself but the bearing in the upper mount. My 07 G6 Clunks also but it dissipates as it is driven. My wife has a 08 Saturn VUE and it is a rattle box the strut bearings are on national back order so you know what you are dealing with.

My G6 has been relatively trouble free aside from the noisy strut but here are some fixes.
Warped rotor: new high quality rotors, stay away from the Chinese made rotors they are crap and you MUST torque the lug nuts and use top quality brake pads, ceramics are a good choice they build up less heat.

Don't feel so frustrated my MB has to have rotors replaced with every brake job. And this is the little c280.

06 and earlier steering knocks: sorry to say it is the rack

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I had to replace an upper strut mount because the bearing went out of it. If it is the strut mount you can duplicate the noise sitting still turning your steering wheel all the way one way and then all the other way. I had a clunk and squeeking sitting still and at low speeds. You will normally see a real slight amount of oil at the seal after bouncing the car, but if there is a lot of oil after bouncing then it is definatley bad. Struts are typically good for 60K-100K miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.