Pontiac G6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Break My Wallet Tech
77 Posts
Gibson exhaust...

I too am looking for an exhaust for my 07 gtp, and have heard the magnaflow, has an issue where the internals fall out...? Whether this is true or not, I don't know...I was told by one shop that Borla is the way to go...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've read every intake and exhaust thread on this site and still have a few questions about both.

Firstly, the intake. K&N makes a replacement drop-in filter for our cars. Why aren't those used as much as an open element cone? I would think that the engine heat alone would negate the extra flow....I've had this discussion many times about my truck (I have an open-element K&N filter on my Bronco) and it's a general consensus that it would have been better for me to go with the drop-in, due to less heat from the engine and more directed flow from the stock box.

Now to the exhaust...

I want to make my car sound like it's got some balls. I do NOT want it to sound like a little ricer 4 banger with a 17" coffee can on the back of it. I also don't want it to sound like my truck (which sounds good...but not on a car). I want it to have an agressive, deep tone but I don't know where to go to get that, or even if I can with a small V6 like mine. Can it be done? I want to take the resonator off (now that I have figured out what exactly it is) and put one of those mangaflow 14266 mufflers that everyone has, but I can't find a sound clip to save my life here. I'd like to hear it before I chuck the money down, so if anyone has a G6 GT without a resonator with this muffler, or any other muffler for that matter, please post it here. I'd like to get a general idea of how my car is going to sound with an aftermarket muffler.

Note that I do not want to spend tons of cash on this. I'm a college student on a very low wage and cannot afford a completely new exhaust system (no headers, high-flow cat, or aftermarket Y pipe for me).

Thanks everyone.

P.S. - How can I tell if my car has a 6-CD changer in it? I could have swore I saw the numbers 123456 lined up in the lower left hand corner of the display but I am thinking it's a single CD because I have no buttons to swap CDs, to load mulitple cds, etc.
I got the six disc and if you have the 6 disc there will be a load button right next to the CD slot on the left if there isnt then there isnt a changer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Firstly, the intake. K&N makes a replacement drop-in filter for our cars. Why aren't those used as much as an open element cone? I would think that the engine heat alone would negate the extra flow....I've had this discussion many times about my truck (I have an open-element K&N filter on my Bronco) and it's a general consensus that it would have been better for me to go with the drop-in, due to less heat from the engine and more directed flow from the stock box.

From my personal experience data logging my ZX2, once you get moving more than 10 mph, any type of cold air, blocked off air, whatever intake is pretty much a negligible gain. On a day that the temps were around 70, The max the IAT sensor read was 75. Definitely not leaps and bounds above ambient, for an intake that was right behind my radiator pretty much. Granted, the ZX2 is a pretty cool engine, so heat isn't a huge issue.

Either way, getting more air is more important than getting "cool" air from outside the engine compartment. Shorter intake paths generally tend to favor higher rpms, and that's where I like my power. So that's what I would go with.

·
Break My Wallet Tech
77 Posts
Well in talking to one shop that was mentioned by three others in my area, magnaflow is the way to go. Now the question I have to answer is, one muffler or two, and pay the extra to have the second one mounted.
What to do...?

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
My first exhaust replacement was a flow through maganaflow with s single in dual out in the back.

Now......I wouldnt put that radio in the exhaust if I were you. lol

·
Break My Wallet Tech
77 Posts
Lampoon,
Did you like the sound of the magnaflow?
Mine is a 07 with the 3.6 VVT. I am looking for low tone.
not that "ricer" noise.

·
5,348 Posts
yes.....I put a magnaflow flow through in place of the resonator then the single in dual out 2.5" in back. I thought it sounded awesome.
I was never really happy with the pipe work or welding and the tips I got wernt very good. So when I had a chance for a GT-R system I jumped on it. Its a touch louder as it doesnt have the flow through
muffler but the tips are extremely nice.
I recommend the 4" flow through to replace the resontator then the single in dual out in back.
Also get the best tips you can. 4" fits the valance perfect and looks awesome.

So if you cant afford the GT-R or just wanna do it yourself go that route. 2.5" all the way.

Thats my recommendation.

·
5,348 Posts
Knock $100 off that if you go register on the other G6 forum and contact Sam (the owner) over there.

but yeah I think when all was done I paid about $85 per muffler, and $45 on the tips and
$100 labor and pipes. So I think I saved about $150 or so.

Keep in mind I now have the GT-R and its construction and product was so superior to my custom job that it wasnt funny.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I quite don't have the cash on hand to buy the GT-R exhaust. Instead I would rather just have a magnaflow or flowmaster muffler installed with single in and dual out. Could possibly add a glasspack if necessary.

I want the tone to be warm and at idle it should be barely noticeable, but once on the road and towards WOT it should keep that warm tone with louder intensity. I've never been a fan of the cracking and popping, or even the really aggressive sound. I just want it to be a little louder and aggressive. The stock exhaust is definitely quiet as a mouse...

I went to my local shop for a quote on how much this would cost and they stated that it would be better to get an aftermarket exhaust system (like the GT-R) due the the lack of space under the car. They said they didn't have the pipes for it, and creating the custom pipes would cost more than I bargained for. Then I went to another shop, where they gave me a $240 quote but didn't look under the car, assuming that it was an easy job.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts