Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought a G6 and decided to join this forum.

My user name being 1.8TTony is due to the fact that I have been dealing with 1.8 liter turbo powered cars for quite a while (Audi's and Volkswagen's).

Anyhow, I mainly bought this G6 because it looks so cool and I have never actually seen one like in person until today. It does need some (internal) engine repairs, but I think I can handle that situation.

The rest of the car is in really good condition.

The engine threw a rod (supposedly) and as that being the case, I only paid $1,000 for it. It has been sitting in the previous owners garage for a few weeks (since the rod broke)......the car was due for DMV registration renewal but since the engine is not operable, the previous owner put the car on "Non Op" status with the DMV.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up the car and trailer it home.

It has red colored paint.
Interior is black (I think it might be leather).
It is a GT model with the GTP performance package equipment.
And it's a convertible.
Gonna love this car when I repair it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would suggest you check the convertible top is operational as parts for the top are very difficult to come by. Hope you enjoy the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes parts are hard to come by. I bought a convertible 2007 model and am looking for a new plastic center tray that covers behind the back seat. The top works but I have to adjust it each time to get a locked signal. Also the drivers door window stopped going up when the door is closed and has to be put up from the other side before leaving the car. This is a great car but full of sensors.

·
Registered
349 Posts
you may be able to fix the window with a reindex / relearn. Think this is covered in the owners manual if you want to double check

- Get in your car and turn the key to ON (you don't need to start the car).
- Put all windows all the way up (they each need to be done individually)
- Start with the drivers window, hold the button up for two seconds, release, hold it up for another two seconds.
- Then put the window all the way down, release, then hold down for two seconds.
- Repeat this step for the passenger side window.

·
Registered
3 Posts
you may be able to fix the window with a reindex / relearn. Think this is covered in the owners manual if you want to double check

- Get in your car and turn the key to ON (you don't need to start the car).
- Put all windows all the way up (they each need to be done individually)
- Start with the drivers window, hold the button up for two seconds, release, hold it up for another two seconds.
- Then put the window all the way down, release, then hold down for two seconds.
- Repeat this step for the passenger side window.
thanks Boomer it worked.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome, 1.8TTony! I hope you get your engine going without too much trouble. You didn't mention what year it is, though. What everybody says about the 'verts is true--they can be troublesome, parts are tricky, and also they're totally great!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome, 1.8TTony! I hope you get your engine going without too much trouble. You didn't mention what year it is, though. What everybody says about the 'verts is true--they can be troublesome, parts are tricky, and also they're totally great!
The car is a 2006.

I ended up buying a used 3.9 Liter engine from a recycling yard. The engine originally was in an Impala. I have to swap everything from the G6 motor onto the Impala motor. They are the same blocks/heads/cam profile..... the Impala engine is identical, but the intake/water pump/fuel injectors, and basically everything else bolted to the outside of the engine are different.

The replacement engine only cost me $650.....has 89,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got the replacement engine installed into the G6......The car is now running. Now I gotta take it for a emissions inspection. The car is pretty fun to drive......I've only put a few miles on it, but I can tell that it has plenty of power. It has an automatic transmission......I could only imagine what it would feel like if it had a manual transmission.

The swap went pretty easy. One day for swapping oil pan, timing chain cover, water X-over, etc....

So I inspect the bad engine to find out what broke on it. The previous owner of the car tole me that "The engine threw a rod". So before looking into the "thrown Rod" theory, I bought an engine. Anyhow, I didn't find anything wrong with the rods/pistons/crank......what I found was a broken timing chain guide, the spring loaded one was broken, as a result the timing chain didn't have the correct tension. So......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would suggest you check the convertible top is operational as parts for the top are very difficult to come by. Hope you enjoy the car.
The top works flawlessly.......100%

I took the G6 for smog inspection and it passed. Went to DMV and got 2017 registration.

But GM installed the hardtops activation switch in the most dumbest place......up above the rear view mirror.

I'm thinking of ordering a new switch and installing it somewhere on the dash or center console.......maybe on the side of the console......down between the emergency brake lever and the console.

One thing I was wondering about is the passenger airbag......how do the ON OFF indicator lights switch from on to off.

In the four or five days that I've had the car running, I have barely gotten to drive it. One day my mother came over and took it to work and kept it for the rest of the day, another day my 17 year old daughter took it to school then after school she did her cheerleader thing then went out driving aimlessly with her girlfriends, another day the daughters mother took it for an 11 hour joy ride, then told me she'd give me $4,400 for it. Pshh! Pleeeeeeaze. And just today, the wife leaves me our Scion xB and takes the G6 out of town. So I guess I'll be driving the Scion Toaster van for a couple days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually....a better idea for the convertible switch might be to modify it to become a timed activation switch.......kinda like one touch windows operate.

Hmmm.....I'm gonna research this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts