Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just traded our 2006 Passat 2.0T for a 2009.5 G6 GT. First thing I always do when I get a new car is find a good owner's forum. Looks like this is the one. We won't be doing too much in the way of performance mods, but we'd like to upgrade the audio a bit and do a few things here and there.

The G6 is silver with black cloth interior. Pretty regular stuff.

·
07 Black GT Vert ♥
445 Posts
Welcome, you'll find some great tips and good reading on everything Pontiac G6.
Jump in and take a ride, you're going to love the G6 Owners Club!

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome, how does the g6 do compared to the passat?

·
Registered
44 Posts
welcome aboard

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Was talking to a guy on Friday who just last week got a 2009 Jetta 2.0t Wolfsburg Edition and it's pretty much the greatest car ever built, according to him anyway. So x2 on how the G6 compares to the Passat 2.0t :)

·
08 Black GT Vert
33 Posts
Welcome,

The Jetta is nice but it cant be as much fun as the G6 convertible...What about your G6???

We are still waiting to hear your opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's how I would compare the Passat to the G6 GT. I really wish I had the 6 speed transmission in the G6. I really miss the 6 speed in the VW. The Passat also feels faster to me and it handles better in my opinion. The G6 holds the road fine, but the VW feels better when cornering hard. The variable ratio steering in the VW is really nice compared to the G6 as is the road crown and crosswind correction. Finally the Passat's suspension feels more refined.

Now, before you ask, "Then why the hell did you lose the VW for the G6," we had the Passat for 5 years and put 128,000 miles on it. It was fun to drive and generally was pretty reliable. However, it was getting to the point where the AC, ignition system, and the computer were acting up and the repair costs were just way too much. Parts and labor on the VW are crazy expensive. We were also ready for something different.

The G6 is a bit roomier in the back seat, a bit wider, and is a more relaxed freeway cruiser. It handles nice and looks amazing. While the fit and finish isn't as nice as the VW, it's more interesting inside. The stock stereo is nicer too. Hopefully the G6 will also prove to be more reasonable to maintain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Passat/G6GT comparison update

Well, after having the G6 for awhile, I'd like to re-evaluate my comparison of our Passat vs our G6. The Passat's gas pedal has more aggressive tip-in and shorter travel so the G6 initially felt slower because it requires more throttle to get it moving. Now that I've re-calibrated my foot, the G6 feels every bit as quick as the Passat. I also generally like the G6's sportier attitude and look. The biggest niggles I have with the G6 is that its chassis gets out of shape on bad roads where the VW maintains its composure very well. The G6 also suffers from less refinement and fit and finish issues. Having said that, I am very happy with the G6 and can certainly overlook its few small shortcomings for the significant price savings and the more aggressive attitude.:D

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
Well, after having the G6 for awhile, I'd like to re-evaluate my comparison of our Passat vs our G6. The Passat's gas pedal has more aggressive tip-in and shorter travel so the G6 initially felt slower because it requires more throttle to get it moving. Now that I've re-calibrated my foot, the G6 feels every bit as quick as the Passat. I also generally like the G6's sportier attitude and look. The biggest niggles I have with the G6 is that its chassis gets out of shape on bad roads where the VW maintains its composure very well. The G6 also suffers from less refinement and fit and finish issues. Having said that, I am very happy with the G6 and can certainly overlook its few small shortcomings for the significant price savings and the more aggressive attitude.:D
I kind of know what you mean by the aggressiveness of your other car's gas pedal. It's like full throttle or nothing as opposed to a long, steady pedal/throttle that's easier to control but may seem slow at first. I drove a 2009 Hundai Elantra (a rental car) and even though it has a tiny little engine it seems to have a lot of acceleration because it's like all or nothing on the throttle. I found it to be "jumpy" and difficult to control when I drove it with quick, jumpy starts as opposed to smooth starts and smooth acceleration. I think car companies do that to make it seem like it's faster than it is. Your G6 can do the same thing, except you have to really put your foot down and "recalibrate" it like you said.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I kind of know what you mean by the aggressiveness of your other car's gas pedal. It's like full throttle or nothing as opposed to a long, steady pedal/throttle that's easier to control but may seem slow at first. I drove a 2009 Hundai Elantra (a rental car) and even though it has a tiny little engine it seems to have a lot of acceleration because it's like all or nothing on the throttle. I found it to be "jumpy" and difficult to control when I drove it with quick, jumpy starts as opposed to smooth starts and smooth acceleration. I think car companies do that to make it seem like it's faster than it is. Your G6 can do the same thing, except you have to really put your foot down and "recalibrate" it like you said.
The Passat isn't really on or off, just more aggressive and it actually backs up the quick feeling. It would pull strong all the way to its 130 mph speed limiter. I love the G6 though. I just wish it was more composed over rough roads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts