Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am driving up the parking deck at work and I hear this awful noise coming from what sounds to be the rack on my 06 g6 gt coupe. I begin to panic, so i call my local dealership, they charged me $20 to tell me that my entire steering column needs to be replaced. It is the steering shaft or intermediate that is making the noise.

the noise mostly can be heard if there is no pressure on the wheel. If i am not turning it just cruising in a straight line i can hear it.

Also if it is the steering shaft, does anyone have any insight on replacement, tips tricks? and parts...The dealership quoted 560 out the door. With the parts being 325. I am a poor college student lol i cant fork out that much cash. Thanks

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not having any actual problems with the steering it just makes noise. I just had it at a GM dealer to inspect front end. They said it was not the electrical recalled unit. They told me it was the steering column

· 07 Black GT Vert ♥
445 Posts
Sounds like the steering column intermediate shaft may be binding.
The dealer will probably want to only lubricate it and make some excuse like that's the way it goes.
The best fix is to have the intermediate shaft replaced with the updated designed one.
Let us know what happens.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When they told me steering column I asked if he meant the intermediate and he told me it was the actual column not the intermediate... I originally thought i would be the intermediate thinking the U joints are bouncing around.

Any diagrams out there for help with replacing the column and the intermediate?

· Registered
13 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I had a "clunk" in my steering wheel too. But I didnt really hear a noise specifically, although I could hear it when it clunked.

Although it sounds like your issue might be different. Mine was only driving and turning at low speeds like parking or turning a corner.

There's another post on here from a user "sls" who shows how to lube the Intermediate Steering Shaft.
I'd replace it if I had the money too but I'm in the same situation you are - not much extra budget for car repairs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.