Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 base model, I’ve done a bunch of interior modifications including 2010 steering wheel buttons, and cluster swap, and adding an aftermarket radio with one of those turn signal speakers so I can hear the car ding at me and let me know when the turn signal is activated. Recently the anti theft light has been coming on while I’m driving. Not sure why this is happening, but I think it might be the BCM. Here’s a video of me restarting the car with the light still on and the car dinging. It normally lights up randomly when I’m driving down the road.

· Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
204 Posts
Maybe an issue with the BCM connector. Known problem for these cars. I would re-seat that connector in the BCM. Also, use some low-voltage dielectric grease on that connector and pins to make sure your getting the best connection possible.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe an issue with the BCM connector. Known problem for these cars. I would re-seat that connector in the BCM. Also, use some low-voltage dielectric grease on that connector and pins to make sure your getting the best connection possible.
Yeah, the previous owners already had di-electric grease put on it, and I just recently took apart the whole thing to see if there was any corrosion or a smoking gun that would hint that the BCM could be bad. I sadly found nothing and put it all back together and still the same thing... I might try and depin each connector and make sure they're clamping down and actually getting a good connection, but otherwise, I'm not sure what it could be. The only other reason it could be the BCM is that sometimes when I plug in my OBD2 scanner, the light will instantly turn on and I won't be able to read the VIN. But it's only done that twice, and my OBD2 scanner was like $30 from Advanced Auto.

· Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
204 Posts
Yeah, the previous owners already had di-electric grease put on it, and I just recently took apart the whole thing to see if there was any corrosion or a smoking gun that would hint that the BCM could be bad. I sadly found nothing and put it all back together and still the same thing... I might try and depin each connector and make sure they're clamping down and actually getting a good connection, but otherwise, I'm not sure what it could be. The only other reason it could be the BCM is that sometimes when I plug in my OBD2 scanner, the light will instantly turn on and I won't be able to read the VIN. But it's only done that twice, and my OBD2 scanner was like $30 from Advanced Auto.
Well... Damn. The only other thing I can possibly think of is if your ignition switch is actually going bad. I know GM had a lot of problems with those ignition switches. And that is what actually reads the frequency off of your key. So that could certainly explain why the theft light would be coming on. It is rather strange, that it comes on while you're driving without it actually affecting the vehicle however. Normally, anti-theft systems will tend to disable ignition or fuel if there's some sort of a discrepancy.

· Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
The service manual does not have too much to say on this. If you know someone with an advanced scan tool that can read the theft deterrent module, you might get some scan codes. The way I read it, having the security light on solid indicates a malfunction

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update, went to the dealer and they said my BCM is bad, which sucks because they told me that the BCM for my G6 has been discontinued, and if i find one unprogrammed, and have them program it, they can't guarentee it will fix the problem...

As of right now, I haven't never had this car leave me abandoned (knock on wood) except for when the battery died and i needed a new one, but that wasn't the cars fault. I'm hoping I'll figure something out before the BCM really starts spitting out error codes. There could be a multitude of things that could've lead to the BCM being bad, I've got a lot of parts that weren't designed for the car:
Custon LED headlights using Morimoto MLED 2.0 Bi-LED projectors, Morimoto 2stroke 3.0's for the high beam headlights, and Profile Peak switchback LED turn signals (need to replace the turn signal bulbs bc one is going bad, and I want to upgrade both of them to something a little easier on the eyes). Did all that about a year ago, and the low beams and high beams are still working perfectly fine, no complaints.
I've got a 2010 G6 bumper with all the inserts, emblems, and of course I needed to get it painted.
Morimoto 4banger NCS wide yellow as the fog lights, which I wired up using a push button latch circuit i found on ebay, and a stock G6 fog light button, and wired into a fuse (I forget which one exactly) and hooked up to a relay that came with the 4bangers.
I've also got a 2010 G6 instrument cluster, 2010 steering wheel buttons (the dealer said that they were bad and that's why the cruise control isn't working, but I'm not sure since my grandparents had an aftermarket cruise control unit installed, which worked, and I simply removed it and wired in the buttons, but the 2010 buttons and 2006-2009 buttons might output different values which the BCM might be unsure of what to do. They also had a keyless entry unit installed which is really annoying since the solder joints have cracked multiple times and each time I need to take it out and reflow the solder). I've also got a GM-LAN03 interface so I can hear the turn signal and door chimes, as well as an aftermarket Kenwood double din radio that's CarPlay compatible.
Did the cluster swap and radio intall in 2019, and it's still working fine.
I also wired in a relay to turn the cigarette lighters off when i exit the car (tapped into the wiper fuse, I have no clue why GM designed the cigarette lighters to stay on constantly.
I did that the second i got the car and found out they don't turn off automatically, so probably early 2019.
I also have the 2010 G6 HVAC controls bc they look cool.
I probably missed a few things, but that's all I can think of atm.

Hopefully I figure something out. This is mostly just me ranting about the car lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts